Need Advice on smell in bator-Day 17 and 9

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by superstarfarm, Apr 29, 2008.

1. superstarfarm

superstarfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2008
    I have bantam eggs on their 17th day and quail/pheasant on their ninth day in my bator. I know, I know right there is a problem I just got a little out of control after I bought my Little Giant. Yesterday I noticed a slight smell when I opened the bator to turn the eggs. Candled them, most look good. The pheasant are to dark but they are only on day 9 so I wouldn’t think them rotten. I am worried that this is the quiet before the storm. If I have a rotten egg explode I will cry. My bator sits in the middle of the house where I run my daycare. The children’s diapers are bad enough but a rotten egg might put me out of business. LOL.

Please someone tell me this is normal….

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    You need to pick up each egg and smell it and when you find it thow it away quickly. That is the only way I was able to tell which coturnix egg was bad in mine. As soon as I took it out the smell in the bator went away so it was only 1 egg bad in mine.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    good luck [​IMG]

4. superstarfarm

superstarfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2008
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...I just smelled them all and had one nasty pheasant. I double bagged it and broke it open, green slime everywhere. I have learned so much from this site but I think this was a real life saver

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by