Need advice on Southern Caifornia Coop plans.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ladyhawke1, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

http://www.petco.com/product/11153/Merry-Products-Wood-Pet-Home-The-Stable.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductDetail_2-_-Merry%20Products%20Wood%20Pet%20Home-%20The%20Stable-11153

I
    would appreciate some advice on the attached information on using this doghouse as a coop for 3 to 5 hens. It will have to be elevated a couple of feet off the ground for the convenience of cleaning it. It would be placed in an already existing dog run.

The dog run is over 6' tall and is covered chain link and is on an existing cement pad. The dog run will need some securing. Chain link doors have large gaps and the bottom of the run may need to be more secure. I have some large raccoons about and I am wondering if they could pull the fence out from the bottom. I need some ideas on possibly covering the rest of the chain link with wire.

There will also be an outside covered run for them so that they may securely free range and not be on the cement. My plans are for this outside covered run is to have another door to let them out in the yard. Whoopee‼ [​IMG]

Regarding this doghouse, I would of course cover the front “door” window with hardware cloth from the inside. I would add a perch and I am not sure about outside nest boxes. I would need some help with that. Maybe cutting a door and installing hinges and making sure the nests are totally weatherproof. I may have to hire a handy man to help me.

Some ideas would be appreciated. Thank you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would not put over 3 in there even with an outside nest box (you only need one nest box, even for 5 hens.) You are right that coons will pull the chain link aside and go through; they will also reach through, grab a chicken part, pull it through and eat it. I'd use well secured hardware cloth along the bottom of the chain link, and secure the chain link mesh itself as well.

Sounds like you are in a warm climate. If you know a good handyman, you might come out better having him build something for you. Look at post #8 here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=163417. Building a coop on one end of the dog run gives a lot more square footage. You could enclose that 4th side if you wished, or just cover it, or part of it, with hardware cloth. Chickens tolerate cold much better than heat and need huge amounts of ventilation in warm climates.

Lots of other ideas in this forum for coops.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by