Need advice on temp setting for incubator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fox, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    We have a Little Giant Still Air incubator. We have 30 eggs in it in a turner, which we just got. I read in Still Air's that the temp should be 101 on average, but that if you read the temp from the top of the eggs, 102. They say it can be 102 a quarter to half inch from the top of the egg. I have a temp/humidity reading sitting in the turner tray, it read from 100.6-100.9 for the most part. While the temp on top of the eggs is 102. We believe those readings are fairly accurate as we used a regular thermometer up there with it and they really super close, and I left one low and it read about the same.

Sometimes though, if I move the "top of the eggs" thermometer out from under the heating element over that row of eggs and move it to a center row of eggs that doesn't have a heating element over them (heating element looks like a big O), the temp is not 102 at the top there. It's more around 100. So I'm just confused over where I should keep that "top of the eggs" thermometer and what temp to keep it at? What do I do? I want to get a good hatch.

Before we laid the eggs on the wire mesh, turned by hand, kept temps between 99.9-101 and had a horrible 1 out of 7 hatch. So we're hoping to get it right this time. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    fox,

Sounds like it should all be OK to me.

I have two thermometors and I'm going to get a third as the two I have are far apart!
    One says 99.5 at the top of the eggs the other over on the side says 101. I figure I'm close.

3. Fox

Fox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Thanks... it can be so confusing trying to get it right for all the eggs and the temps being so different in spots! I am interested in other people's experience to draw on. Thanks for sharing yours!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by