Need advice on turkey eggs./Info on building a hatcher.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Thought id add both these questions on one post.

They are on day 5 today I have tried to candle them with the best that I have and they look no different from when i put them in the bator. I cannot see anything with the flashlight or the 100watt heating lamp rigged up to candle. I just see clear and what appears to be a yolk I cannot see an air sac or any veining. Even though I had a troublesome time candling my aunts green eggs. I couldnt see anything in them on day 5 either. I know turkey eggs are so hard to see through because of the thick egg shell. I am worried about them being rotten and busting and runing my other eggs. So what should I look for with what little I am seeing. Would it smell before it busted? would it become soft feeling or weeping looking before busting. They have along way to go and I just built a hatcher for eggs due before the turkey eggs but I will be adding more eggs to the batch once i remove some to the hatcher. Any info would be great.

Hatcher problem.

So I wanna build a hatcher I go buy one of the small syrphone coolers I have a heating light I dismembered down to just the cord and light fuse I put in a 25w bulb I insert it into the side make the flooring and add water. Using duck tape to cover around where I inserted the heating lamp fuse. I plug it in my temp runs to 110 and humidity at 67 my humidtiy is fine and it stays that way so I start making vent holes to lower my temp. I add more and more holes. Till it drops to 95 and stays so then i begin to cover some of the vent holes slowly finally i get my temp to 99.3 and it stays there with humidity at 67% is this ok for a hatcher temp and humidity?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Try waiting untill 10 days,you should see vaining then. 5 days is realy early for candling. unless you have a cracked egg or a very old one you should not have a exploding problem. sometime I don't candle untill day 18, never had one explode

3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:Thanks, I will wait till they are 10 days and if I am still iffy I'll wait till day 18.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by