Need advice on vaccinating chickens for Newcastle & Mareks

teamtmo

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 25, 2015
Simi Valley, CA
I have three 5 week (Silver Laced Orpington) & 6 week (Easter Egger) old chicks that I want to vaccinate against Mareks before I move them outside to join my small flock of already Mareks-vaccinated chickens (They are 3 years old now).
I recently found out Newcastle Disease is rampant right now in Southern California (where I reside). I want to vaccinate both my older flock AND my 5/6 week old chicks against Newcastle as well.
1) Does it matter what age the chickens are for vaccination against Newcastle?
2) Can I vaccinate my 5/6 week old chicks for Newcastle at the same time as the Mareks vaccine or should I space out the two separate vaccinations?
3) How long should I wait before introducing my chicks to my older flock after vaccinating them?
4) What is the best brand of Newcastle disease vaccine to purchase?
5) Is it necessary to regularly vaccinate chickens against Newcastle disease and, if so, how often?
6) What is your favorite way to vaccinate against Newcastle disease and why?
I am Still new to this area of things, so any advice would be well appreciated.
Thank you.
C3CF33C0-2F48-4A1D-9CDE-4DAD7F9D2633.jpeg

Chicks are vaccinated for Marek's disease at 1 day old. It will do no good now to vaccinate your 5 & 6 week old chicks against Marek's disease because for better or for worst they have already been exposed. Besides Marek's vaccine is only available in 1,000 dose vials. Newcastle disease is usually vaccinated with the wing web stab method. There is also a combo vaccine that is used against both Newcastle disease and Infectious Bronchitis. I am unsure if you could do it now but that is a possibility. Both of these diseases results in funky eggs like thin shelled or soft shelled eggs.

Chicks are vaccinated for Marek's disease at 1 day old. It will do no good now to vaccinate your 5 & 6 week old chicks against Marek's disease because for better or for worst they have already been exposed. Besides Marek's vaccine is only available in 1,000 dose vials. Newcastle disease is usually vaccinated with the wing web stab method. There is also a combo vaccine that is used against both Newcastle disease and Infectious Bronchitis. I am unsure if you could do it now but that is a possibility. Both of these diseases results in funky eggs like thin shelled or soft shelled eggs.
Our chicks have been kept inside our house completely separate from our adult chickens, so there is no chance they have been exposed to Mareks. We vaccinated our adult chickens against Mareks when they were around 5 weeks old as well.
What is the wing web stab method?

Back
Top Bottom