need advice on ventalation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kimmerjo, Aug 3, 2013.

1. kimmerjo

kimmerjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    So my coop is an 8x8 with two windows One on the southside and one on the westside. I just add pictures .take a look :) I'm worried ,I was just in my coop and didn't feel an air flow I have the windows open. I know that in the winter you don't want a breeze . Should I add vents? I live in the woods so I'm surrounded by trees when we do get wind its from the east and south. Please any help is appreciated:)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. rehric00

rehric00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I have the same problem with NO windows and I have a metal shed as my coop. Working on getting a window added to the door and maybe some small vents in the walls. Struggling with the decision because I'm also having water issues and do not want the vents to allow more water in... :/

3. kimmerjo

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    I know it mind boggling ! I have no problem with leaks..that I know of fingers crossed. I'm just worried if I add vents it will be too cold or too windy but I don't want there to not be enough ventilation and have sick birds.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here’s a good article on ventilation. I’ll include the others because I think they are pretty good.

Pat’s Big Ol' Ventilation Page
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Pat’s Cold Coop (winter design) page:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-winter-coop-temperatures

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

Ammonia is lighter than air and can cause respiratory problems when it builds up. Wet poop generates ammonia. You need an opening higher than their heads when they are roosting so the ammonia can escape.

Warm air rises. In the summer you want to get rid of excess heat. Openings higher than their heads when they are roosting really helps with that. Especially if you have an opening lower down where cooler air can enter you can create a nice breeze just from the warm air rising.

A breeze hitting them is not bad at all in the summer. They’ll enjoy that. The more the better. When a breeze hitting them can be a problem is in the winter when it is really cold. Think wind chill. If you have openings in the winter above their heads when they are sleeping, the breeze will pass over their heads, not hit them.

Warm air holds more moisture than cold air. Warm air rises. Extra moisture in the coop can help lead to frostbite. Many people in your climate have posted that frostbite problems went away when they provided more ventilation, not less. Openings above their heads when they are sleeping can help get rid of excess moisture.

Do you see a pattern here about openings above their heads when they art sleeping?

There are different ways to provide ventilation above their heads, depending a lot on what your coop looks like. Removing the top few inches of the walls under overhangs and covering that with hardware cloth to stop predators will do a lot of good. Roof vents and gable vents will move a lot of air. I don’t like ridge vents where they can be blocked by snow, though they can do a lot of good in the summer removing heat. Another option if you want to get fancy is put a cupola on top of your roof.

Hope you get something useful; out of this that you can apply to your unique situation. Good luck!

5. kimmerjo

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    Ok so read these . I'm going to add some vents:) just make it so I can close them. Thanks

6. kimmerjo

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    [​IMG]. This is what I did hope it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by