1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice on what to do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bitsy101, Sep 11, 2009.

1. bitsy101

bitsy101 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    Mississippi
    Hi there I am new to hatching eggs and needed to ask a few questions. I have a standard black cochin hen setting on 9 eggs I got from a friend because all my hens are just starting to lay. Sunday will be her 21st day to sit. When I looked under her this moring one egg had a little hole in it. I assume this is a pip or peep. What is the difference? What is the amount of time from this to hatching? Also, she is in a pen with a speckled sussex rooster and 2 silver laced wyandotte hens. When would it be safe to move her to a brooder we have in the barn? Can I do it tonight or should I wait till the eggs have hatched? Thanks ,any advice would be appreciated.

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    I can't really help you, but I am sure someone wil give you the answers you need.

[​IMG]

3. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    pip...is when its broken some shell, doesnt have to be much...zip is when it looks more like a zipper has opened the egg some...my hatch started on day 19th at 8pm...with pips...my first chick hatched the next day at 220pm...then the 2nd at 745pm...it takes along time sometimes.

once a chick pips...it should come out in 24hrs...thats good time. as to moving the hen...she might get angry and peck at you...not sure on that one, I hatch mine...

4. bitsy101

Mar 25, 2009
    Mississippi
    Thanks for your help. This will be day 19 for us too. From what you say it could take all weekend to hatch these eggs. I can't wait to see what they are, my friend did say there would be a couple surprises in the eggs. I fixed up the brooder with shavings and feed and water in case I need it later. I may go out and check the progress of the eggs since I haven't checked them in the last 3 or 4 hours. The hen is a gentle hen and low on the totem pole in the pecking order. Everyone else bosses her around so maybe if we had to move her and the babies she wouldn't get too upset. Guess I'll just play it by ear and see what happens and see what others suggest to do.

5. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Is there any way to put up a barrier around the hen to keep the others away from her until all the chicks hatch? That way, if any of the chicks get away from her before they are all hatched, they can't get hurt.

6. bitsy101

Mar 25, 2009
    Mississippi
    Just checked on the progress. The egg that was pipping this morning has half the shell gone but the thin white membrane is still intact the chick has a little hole in it and is peeping. I picked up some of the other eggs and listened to them and heard some pecking and peeping.So that is good news. It would probably be pretty hard to put something around her may see what my husband can rig up when he gets home from work. If he cant come up with something will probably try to move her to the brooder this evening. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Best to leave the hatch alone. Ruins hatches by handling, after they have all hatched out then move momma hen and her brood to a save place. Shouldn't be done while the hatch is happening.

Edited because I forgot to use spellcheck! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  8. bitsy101

Mar 25, 2009
    Mississippi
    Thanks that is what I needed to know. I will leave her alone until the hatch is done. Then we will move her.

9. bitsy101

Mar 25, 2009
    Mississippi
    Oh guys I am so stupid! When I went out to feed the horses and chickens at 4pm I checked on the hen and eggs. I was mortified when I looked in the pen and the two silver laced wyandottes had killed the chick that had hatched and were throwing it around the pen. I did the only thing I could think to do and gathered up the rest of the unhatched eggs and took them and put them in a nest I made of hay in the brooder. Then I went back and caught the hen and took her to the brooder too. Believe it or not she went right over to the nest and sat on the eggs. I hope I didnt mess things up but I just couldnt let the other chickens kill them as they hatched. Now if they do hatch they will have a better chance of surviving. I think I will invest in an incubator soon because of this. Cant believe I didnt move her long ago.

10. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I am sorry about the baby chick. Please don't feel stupid, we all make mistakes, it is part of the learning process. If we weren't making mistakes, then we aren't trying new things. [​IMG]

I hope the rest of your hatch goes successfully!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by