Need advice on what to raise

priccabona

Chirping
Sep 20, 2015
Hi there, I have no idea where to ask this question at, hope someone will direct me to the right spot if this is not it.. I have fallen in love with quail. My grand daughter is raising them for a school project. I would love to raise something for eggs and meat, as close as I can get to quail, but NOT quail.. I don't want to be her competition. I need suggestions on what to get.. I would need quiet, small enough to raise in a pen like quail. I live in South Texas. Thanks for all the help I know I will get from you. Its driving me crazy to try to figure something out..

Don't want to be in competition, then raise cockerels and eat them when still small. They are easily available, most peeps want pullets only. You will process them before they crow.

If you can have cockerels where you live they could be your best bet. Raise a small flock for eggs and keep a rooster for breeding and then hatch out what you want for meat. If you don't want to eat the pullets you could always sell them and eat just the cockerels.
white rocks would be one breed that comes to mind,the cockerels grow fast to a good size and the hens are good layers.

I don't get the "competition" part ... Why not quail, if you like them?

You could then SHARE breeding stock back and forth ... You would have something in common with her ...

Chickens can produce plenty of eggs and meat, so can Muscovy ducks ... Turkey's don't lay as many eggs, but give quite a bit of meat, but take some time to grow out ... Maybe pheasants or doves?

Last edited:
What kind of quail does your granddaughter have? You could always get another BREED of quail, like a Blue scale or a bobwhite, or even Cotournix quail.

I would not recommend bobs if you want ones you can hold or at least won't try to boink themselves to death whenever you gather eggs, just IMO lol.... But Cotournix have some very beautiful colors and can be quite docile.

Switch from "competition" to a dual project; double your birds and times with your granddaughter spent caring for them! Win/win :)

Last edited:
Different variety of quail is a good suggestion, then you could do comparisons and make it a cooperative learning project.....
....could also enhance her school project to offer up some similar data.

So Comparison and Cooperative instead of Competition. ;-)

.....or rabbits....oh, no eggs, but pretty quick meat....and I believe the fur hides have a market.

.....or just wait until after the project when she loses interest, then you can take over?

Thank you all for your advice.. Its very helpful I will be looking into the cockerels. As far as not wanting to be in competion with her, I want this to be a learning exp for her all on her own.. Every thing we have done pretty much up till now has been something that I have also had a hand in.. I have always helped, or assisted in some way.. I want her to have to look it up, to see what others do, when they have problems, and know that it is a commitment. I am trying to make her more independent. Its a personal choice that I am making not to have quail. any type of quail.. This is going to be a 4 year project for her, and thankfully the type of person that she is.. I don't think the chances of her losing intrest in them, is very likely..I am taking advantage of this being a learning exp for her, to make her an independent person... IF the time comes, that she doesn't expand her business to meet the need of her byers, THEN is when I would come in and also start raising quail.. to make her realize the concequences of supply and demand. If she does have issues that she can't figure out the answers to, I know where I can refer her to, to get those answers, HERE.. At times, I may ask questions about the quail, if I feel there is a problem..(without her knowing) just to double check her info she has collected.. Thanks again for all the helpful information, and I hope this makes sence to you all.. I am trying to make her into a Strong, independent women and this is just a step in that process...Please keep offering and suggesting what I should get..

Back
Top Bottom