1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice on whether to get another chick....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by theacw, Jun 5, 2011.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    I bought 2 chicks 5 weeks ago which I believe are pullets. They have grown extremely attached and they are my only two.

What happens if one is a roo? Or if I lose one? Is the other going to be torn apart being alone? If one is out of sight to another, they absolutely FREAK and panic and are constantly within 1 foot of each other and always sleep cuddled up to one another. I have read that chickens dont like being alone and I cant imagine mine ever would! So lately I have been so worried in case one turns out to be a roo or when the day comes, one passes.

What is your advice?

Is 5 weeks too early to post pictures of a orp and wyandotte to determine the sex? I dont see anything that says anything to me but I am definitely no expert. The wyandottes comb which hasnt grown at all, somtimes looks reddish around it and the wattle area sometimes looks red too, which also hasnt grown yet. Its just the fact it looks red, is what is making me start to worry it may be a boy. The orps legs are quite thick compared to the other but it has also grown at a fast rate....

If I do get another, would I get 2? In case both of mine are males? Or the new one is a male? I am just starting to think and worry way too much! Suggestions please!

(coop is going to be 6x6, not sure on run size yet but live in town so wont be able to run around free)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    I would post pics and see if the more experienced bycers can tell if they are hens or roos.
    If you decide to get more chicks (a good idea in my opinion ) then get 2 or 3 so that they are the same age and so one wont get picked on.
    6 x 6 is plenty big enough for 4 hens if they all end up being hens.
    -Quinn

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Yes, please post pics...

4. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    I posted a topic in the gender/breed section if you would like to take a shot at guesses! [​IMG]

Thanks for the advice, I will look into getting more once I get these buggers out of my apartment!!! I dont know if I can deal with the stress of starting from chick again, trying to keep the neighbors/landlord in the dark [​IMG] ha!

5. Quinn4321

Quinn4321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    P.A/M.D border, USA
    Well there are always a few people seeling started pullets you could buy.

6. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
    Yes, 2 is a bad number IMO. I'd get 2 or 3 more asap. it is easier to introduce at this age. and easier to introduce 2 as opposed to just 1. and get sexed pullets, not "straight run", you are less likely to get a rooster (unless you want one/some).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by