Need advice on which medicine to give

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dmdhart, Oct 7, 2010.

1. dmdhart

dmdhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    My 2 year old redstar hen, Olivia, has been sick for over a month now (maybe 2) I believe that she has coryza. She has been isolated. At first she was VERY ill, and I had to force liquids and electrolytes down her, give her nebulizer treatments with albuterol and saline. She was on baytril for 10 days. She improved, but not all the way. I then tried duramycin, and it did nothing. I then tried sulmet. She seemed to get better, and finally started drinking and eating on her own. After being on sulmet for over a week 1/2 I stopped and for several days I was beginning to think that I could release her back with the flock. A couple of days ago though, her eyes started to water and today they started looking gunky. Right now, I can't afford to buy anything, but I have the following meds on hand: sulmet, duramycin, penacillin injectable (I've given it orally to my dogs and cats before) and cipro. Would any of these possibly help her? Would any of them kill her?
    I am also giving her polyvisol, and any treats that she will eat. She loves tomatoes and grapes. I hate to give up on her. She seems to have a pretty strong will to survive.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    If this was my bird (sorry to say this) I would cull her. There are not really any respiratory diseases that you can treat with antibiotics (and you have tried a whole bunch of them without knowing that you have a bacterial problem) that do not result in a carrier state. If she got a bit better with antibiotics- this may be bacterial, but it could also be viral with a secondary bacterial infection, or time helped her & not the antibiotic.....Talk to your state veterinary lab, and get her tested- she is likely a risk to the rest of your flock. Best IMO you can hope for is CRD (mycoplasma) as these birds *usually* have relatively minor symptoms- but their laying is reduced and they periodically have flare ups- and are still a risk to other birds.

3. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    have you tried Tylan50? less than $10 online

4. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    As sick as she was, I don't think she improved on her own. Puss was pouring out of her eyes and nose and she couldn't eat. She improved a lot on antibiotics, but not all the way. Tylan50 is the one thing I haven't tried. someone else on here suggested cold medicine, that it has helped her chickens, so I'll see if I can get some $ together and try those.

5. mypicklebird

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Chickens don't get colds like people get colds. Cold medicine is not going to be very helpful- and many cold medicines contain ingredients that may be downright harmful to your chicken. I would not recommend giving a human cold medicine to your chicken. Vet rx maybe. May last post remains my belief- that you are not dealing with a bacterial infection by itself, or you are suppressing a bacteria and creating a carrier that gets sick again- you have tried several antibiotics- some quite powerful (assuming you gave theraputic dosing here), and you do not have a well bird. Get her tested and find out what you are dealing with IMO. Tylan helps control CRD & coryza, but it is a narrow spectrum antibiotic- and you can't cure coryza and mycoplasma- just suppress it.

6. dmdhart

Jun 12, 2009
    Millwood, VA
    If I get her tested by the state vet (is that costly?) and it is coryza, will they want me to put my whole flock down?

7. mypicklebird

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Each state will be different- google poultry extension for VA. Often it is a free service- they are looking for the BIG baddies like avian influenza and exotic newcastles. If they find one of those (which- they will likely NOT), they would likely take your flock and many others in some depopulation zone. If they find coryza, they will offer advice which probably should be taken- and it may be depopulate- but it is unlikely they would make you do anything. If it is coryza, you should seriously consider culling- I for one would not want that bird at my house, forever a risk to other birds.....
    If you are concerned about what the consequences of having the bird tested besides having the information- ASK the lab before submitting the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by