Need advice/opinions, please!!!!

FreedomFarm13

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Arkansas
Wasn't sure exactly where to put this thread, but I have a few questions for everybody. I plan on having 3-4 pullets and a roo of 5 breeds: Cuckoo Marans, Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Gold Laced Orpingtons, and Rhode Island Reds. I was wondering what online hatchery everyone uses to order their chicks. I don't have a lot of options here for finding specific breeds; there are a couple that can be special ordered from my feed store, but I doubt I'd be able to get most of the variations I want. So, which hatcheries do you use, and, if any, which hatcheries should I stay away from? I already have the Cuckoo Maran pullets, btw. Also, if possible, I would like one day olds, as the prospect of hatching my own eggs sounds a little too terrifying to me atm, being a newbie and all. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!!

Lindsey

I'm not sure I totally understand your second sentence - do you mean you plan to get a pullet of each of the 5 breeds and then a rooster of each, or just one rooster for all of the pullets?

That seems like a pretty high ratio of hens to roos. Are you set up with separate breeding facilities for each breed of chicken? Otherwise there is no guarantee - in fact there is no likelihood - of being able to have the RIR roo breed just the RIR hens, etc. If you do have that set up, then you should also be aware that one roo will harass his 3-4 hens mercilessly, breeding them constantly.

Really? I didn't think a roo would be too much for 3-4 hens....I'm just limited to the amount of space I'll have for my chickens, and was also planning on selling babies that I hatch myself once I get a little more acquainted with the idea of incubating. I will have separate pens to put the separate breeds in, tho, so I can control the breeds of chicks I get. Another quick question: if the roos are all in together, will they fight one another? I was thinking of just putting them in a 'roo pen', but I wasn't sure if that'd work. Thanks for the advice!!

Back
Top Bottom