Need advice please re: crested duckling and possible health issue

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChanceRider, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I have a 3 week old duckling, crested, possibly a Pekin with what I could call pretty severe balance issues. He/she has a terrible time staying upright... will tumble over after a few steps and flails around trying to get upright.

My neighbor was told that sometimes crested ducklings can have balance issues, but that they're likely to survive.

Wobbles, as he/she has been nicknamed, came in an order of hatchery choice ducklings along with 20 others, some crested, some not. Since the others are quite active and often knock Wobbles over, I've moved him/her to a large dog crate in my dining room. We wanted to make sure that she's able to get to food and water without the challenge of constantly falling over or getting knocked over.

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with something of this nature? Any and all info you can share will be greatly appreciated!

2. ChanceRider

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    [​IMG] Guess poor Wobbles is a one of a kind?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Crested ducks are known to have neurological issues. I'm not aware of anything to help the problem, but maybe someone can give you some first hand experiances with it.

4. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I just happen to have a black crested female that has the same problem. She is four years old and has had the problem since hatching. She lays eggs and walks around with the other ducks. Most of the time she looks fine except when excited then she flops around like she is dying.

She is one of the favorite females of the duck group so I have had to put her in her own pen for part of the last two breeding periods otherwise the poor little thing just gets to frazzled.

Hope your little one is able to adjust.

5. ChanceRider

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Thanks for the replies! It's heartwrenching to watch Wobbles flail about. Corancher, your post gives me hope. Since bringing him/her over to my house Wobbles seems to be a bit calmer and is able to eat and drink without getting knocked over as often. Our hope is that Wobbles will be able to gain some strength and size and then later on maybe join my other ducks in their pen.

In the future, I'll do everything I can to avoid getting crested ducks or chickens. I had no idea that they were prone to neurological problems. I guess we were lucky that only one (so far) of the crested's received in the "hatchery choice" special is exhibiting problems.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by