need advice please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mulleteggs, Nov 20, 2016.

1. mulleteggs

mulleteggs New Egg

May 25, 2016
    i have 4 isa brown chickens and 4 amberstar chickens and they all are very good layers get 8 eggs a day but. i just went and picked 9 more isa browns up due to the demand of eggs the person we got them from had them in a really bad environment didn't take very good care of them said they werent good layers we should've just walked away but anyways i got one good egg and 2 soft shelled out of the 9. they said they were only a year old. im hoping stress was the reason for not laying overall they look pretty healthy but im needing advice for why isa just stop laying and if theres a way to turn them around to get them to start laying again.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Generally when birds are moved to a new environment they stop laying for a period of time. In the first couple of days they may lay some eggs - those that were in development when they were relocated. Your birds may go through a short break, or it may be longer due to the shortening day length combined with the stress of a new home.

3. mulleteggs

mulleteggs New Egg

May 25, 2016
    I'm hoping that's the case and they'll settle down I think they were in a pretty stressful environment cause they weren't taken care of properly. mine are spoiled they get oyster shells along with they're layer feed and scratch grains and they're coop gets cleaned out twice a year cause I can't stand the poop buildup.

4. nhenry

nhenry New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Help! Anyone in the OKC/Yukon/Mustang OK area - I have a Cochin Rooster approx 7 months old and he has to go ASAP as I'm in an HOA and trying to fly under the radar [​IMG]. Call 405-503-5743 today!!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

This could be a recipe for diluted protein....depending on percentages and ratios.

6. mulleteggs

mulleteggs New Egg

May 25, 2016
    so far all my original 8 are still laying they are like pets i spoil them. but we've got them separated for now and so far no problems except I think new ones were lacking calcium cause they are going crazy for oyster shells and I got one good egg and 2 soft shelled yesterday out of 9.Not sure about today cause I'm at work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by