1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need advice please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karengibbo, Nov 6, 2009.

1. karengibbo

karengibbo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    england
    i live in northeast lincolnshire england, and have read so many good reports about DE does anyone know where i can buy it ?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    More sand?

3. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    You can try DE, or Stall Dry. Not sure if they have that in England, but I would check. I usually find it in the horse section.

4. alwayswantedchicks

alwayswantedchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2009
    SW VA
    DE is diatomaceous earth or fossil flour. I understand it is ground up fossils. I bought 50 pounds recently, before it turned cold outside. There's a difference in de that we bought mistakenly at Southern States and the 50 pounds we bought. Food grade won't harm any pets or critters or humans unless they inhale the dust. We put it in the chicken coop when we clean it out under the clean bedding. The first time we did that the temps were still quite warm and the flies were so bad we had fly tape hanging in our garage and inside the house from chandeliers. Unbelievable. We put the de in the coop and within days the fly population was down to minimal. Equally unbelievable. We mix some in the chickens food and the dog food occasionally and since we have had a bad case of fleas this year we use it on the dog's and cat's fur, as well as dusted the house. Fleas gone-we spent a fortune on chemical products from the vet that didn't work first. I didn't want to buy de online because shipping costs are horrible but found a distributor within 30 miles. The savings was worth the 30 miles. DE has lots of uses and I will never again be without it.

5. alwayswantedchicks

alwayswantedchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2009
    SW VA
    I should have also told you that before we got some DE I thought it would be dark like a potting soil or something. It looks like fine white powder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by