Need advice please!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sumi, Jul 11, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I have a sick chick, she's about 5 weeks old. I got her 3 days ago and according to her previous owner she's been sick for about a week. The vet diagnosed a sinus infection which spread to her entire respiratory system. I finally got hold of some 125mg amoxycillin powder today. It's mixed with water to make a total of 100ml. I need to know how much to give the chick and how often. She's very run down, having been sick for so long and I'm desperate to help her. She's barely eating and I want to boost her somehow. I've given her some scrambled egg, but though she starts eating enthusiastically, she stops after a few bites and sits with some of the food still in her mouth.
    Any advice would be much appreciated!!

2. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    Hi, I'm a relative Chicken Newbie, but also a Nurse. Is there a large animal Vet that you could call for dosage? You need to get this in her ASAP. Do you have an eye dropper? You have to be extremely careful, but I would give her the meds (properly diluted in water) a few drops at her time into her lower beak, making sure that she swallows each time. You don't want her to aspirate the liquid. Also, ask the Vet if he would recommend anything different then the Amoxycillin. It may be bitter, so you can add raspberry or strawberry Koolaide to the mixture. Keep her indoors, where she can be monitored and out of any direct drafts. Another suggestion is to give her some pediolyte with the Meds. It will help her if she is dehydrated. There are products that help ill or debilitated fowl. One would be a Vitamin B Complex. I'll repost with the name of a supplier.

Good luck!!

3. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    The Vet Supply is:

Firststatevetsupply/store/

They have tons of products

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Thank you. I got hold of a vet who recommended dosage and I hope the medicine will help her quickly. How long does it normally take before there's an improvement? She's lost an awful lot of weight already and I'm really worried about her. I would feel better when she's able to eat properly. I keep feeling her crop, but I can't feel anything in there.
    I will go to the human doctor's surgery tomorrow and see if they have anything:bow
    I live in the middle of nowhere and it's often very hard to get things when you need them! I actually went to the above doctor for her meds today. I figured if I have to ask a human doctor for chicken medicine I will just do it. (He took it well)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by