need advice plz

newbiecaroline

Songster
12 Years
Jan 21, 2008
Alberta
I brought 16 eggs into the house candled them all and we have 12 now in a box. When we candled them each egg was solid mass inside. No idea how old these eggs are for 'due date'. One egg I wiped clean because it had a yellow little clump on it. Now the clump is back, what is it??
Any idea how old these eggs could be? I have lights hovering over the eggs for heat, water glass in the box and a wet cloth. I do have a thermometer and its steady at 99.
But what is the yellow clump...yolk? is the chick pipping?
I'm afraid its bad and will explode!
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm sort of a newbie hatcher myself, but let's see..

Was your hen incubating these eggs? If so, and you can't see inside, then I'd say you are very close to hatching.

As for the yellow stuff.. IMHO, not a good sign. The only oozy egg I had was one I had accidently dropped. In my case the oozing meant the yolk had broken and the baby was dead (although that egg was only 13 days along, so had a lot more growing to do).

Do the sniff test on your oozy egg until someone more expert chimes in. If it stinks, get rid of it.

Meghan

Morning Meghan, thanks for reply!
After posting the question I kept reading here and found out to get rid of it, when I took a sniff I agreed!
Two banties were brooding these eggs, a week ago there was 2 little guys running around the coup (some members here will remember my sheer panic) but they are gone no trace of them! Whole family was upset so we brought the rest in. We were not set up for this by any means. I found a box to keep them in, after we candled them all, it has a heat pad set on low under the box, eggs are on a towel, an old floor lamp with five 'arms' that bend are the top heat source, a wet cloth and small glass of water for humidity we cant measure, and the thermometer is holding nicely at 99. 2 of us have though we saw the eggs move. Wish us luck! no idea how long to keep chicks away from the coup etc etc
Caroline

WOOHOO! Congrats! Sounds like they'll be hatching soon!!!

As for keeping them out of the coop.. lots of different theories on that. My method is wait until they are about 10wks, and are about 1/2 grown. Set up a 'safe' area in the big coop (I just leaned an old window screen in the corner) that the new ones can pop behind, but the rest of the flock can't. That way, if they are being chased, they'll have a great place to hide.

That being said, this time of year is pretty cold out. I have two that are about 12 wks living in my laundry room until spring. LOL! Can't let them catch cold out there.
lau.gif

I'll be watching for your updates!!!

Meghan

Tks Meghan, oh you know I will post pics! So we will have these inside for some time then huh
I'm tempted to bring one brooder in, the one that got the most upset(?) at me when the two chicks were there, not sure if she is the mum. These eggs are 3 shades of brown and we have 6 hens, 3 out of the six are now 'brooding'. sheesh that rooster! wished I had been corectly informed about those guys! I read he woudn't till SPRING!
Can we eat the eggs from the coup at all anymore?
No little beaks hanging out this morning
sad.png

You know maybe because I stare at these eggs so hard my eyes just 'think' I see movement?
I'm broody.
That 'stinky egg' you told me to get rid of ? kept me up All night thinking it was a beak coming through!
what a ditz
So, how have you set up your indoor coup?
I have the space for it, but do you have straw in it etc?
are they loud?
sorry I have several questions getting thrown at you lol!
I'll "lay" off now lol
Caroline

I just read on another thread that the temp should have been 101 without a fan and 99.5 with a fan
not only that but this morning hubby found the temp at 110
deep freeze here in southern alberta and had the plumber here yesterday because half the house wasnt heating (water rads) ended up the line had frozen and he ripped ceiling portions out to fix a leak where it had froze!
I'm guessing the room became warmer after we went to bed and 99 went 110
So now its 101 and now it's an even worse waiting game.
poor little birds.
This is brutal!
sure be nice to own an incubator!
I'm gonna go kick the rooster.....

When I was a child in the 70's and old gentelman died and his children told the spca to come get all his animals.
He had a bunch of hens and a lot of them were sitting on eggs . the aspca refused to take the eggs. so mom & dad gathered them all up it was about 100+ eggs.
Dad candled them and all the ones he thought were with in 3 days of hatching he kept and he tossed the rest Mom put a towel in the bottom of the basket and put a jar of warm water in the center with all the eggs around it she sat the bushel basket on top of her electric blanket and wraped it up around the whole thing and told us not to touch it for 3 days in three days she unwraped the blanket and most of the eggs had hatched. COOOL

Wow, hopefully temp wasn't that high for long.

I hear ya on the egg thing. The weepy one I had.. I cracked before I threw it in the trash. I knew it was dead, but still.. mind torture.

I'm here with you. Day 20 on 4 in the 'bator.. they hit day 21 at midnight. Temps have been a little up and down (as low as 97.5, up to 103.8 for a very short time early on). I hate thermometers!! Mostly have kept between 98.6-100.6, so I figure I'm doing ok, though I won't be surprised if they take an extra day to get out.

I keep gazing through the window.. waiting.. waiting.. thinking I hear peeping.. Trying to stay away from the 'bator altogether, but I'm a nervous wreck. ARG!

Good luck on your babies!! Can't wait for some pipping!!

LOL! As for brooding in the house, I have them on wood shavings (same stuff that is in the henhouse). Did have them on papertowels for the first few days, as I do all new babies. I personally don't think chickens really smell (cat box is WAY worse), as long as they are kept dry.

WOOHOO!
barnie.gif
Let me know!!

Love your story Fluffnstuff! Someone on the old BYC hatched her eggs in a cardboard box lined with tinfoil. Amazing, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom