Need advice quick!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Thomas82, May 23, 2019.

1. Thomas82

Thomas82 Hatching

May 23, 2019
    I have a year old Pekin named Darling that has been sitting a nest. I was able to candle 4 of the eggs over the weekend and found all four of the them be viable and easily identifiable as chicks by their shadows. I'm a first time duck owner and this is her first nest. All told there are around 12 eggs in the neat. Today my daughter went out to feed and found a partially hatched duckling dead outside the nest. I don't know what to do Should I let her continue to sit or should I put the remaining eggs in a broader and try to hatch them myself?

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  2. MallardMomx2

MallardMomx2 Songster

Mar 2, 2019
    Ohio
    My Coop
    How long has she been sitting on the nest?
    Does it appear the duckling started to hatch on its own or do you think something else happened?
    When I left my drake to be with his lady and her eggs, he cracked a few of the eggs open himself. Some drakes can be mean to the eggs, or babies for that matter.

3. Thomas82

Thomas82 Hatching

May 23, 2019
    I'm not sure if the chick started to hatch on it's own or not, I'm a first timer. The egg was busted on the smaller end and the duck looked fairly well formed but small, like it had black and yellow fuzz, bill, feet and such. Darling was out running around when I got home and the eggs were quite cool so i just brought them inside and put them in my home made brooder box. I literally have no clue what I'm doing, but I did candle them and all 4 remaining eggs had movement when i checked. I guess we will just have to go with God on this one because I have no clue what I'm doing here lol.

4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Put some heat on them. I'm thinking you probably don't have an incubator but you can make do with a home made one. Start with a heating pad. @Jpat can help here! He's an expert on hatching without an incubator!

5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I've notified @Jpat and he hopefully will be on soon!

Jpat likes this.
  6. Thomas82

Thomas82 Hatching

May 23, 2019
    Thank you ma'am! I live on an off grid homestead. Right now I put them in a container under a heat lamp and have spent the afternoon making adjustments to get them at a consistent temp, around 98° F. I'm going to keep adjusting as necessary until I either get ducklings, more good advice, or it goes on too long to continue hoping.

Jpat likes this.
  7. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Good luck. I heard most duck breeds arent good for allowing brooding.

Jpat likes this.
  8. Jpat

Jpat Free Ranging

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    How many days along are the eggs? should try for 99 if your thermometer is accurate. altho theres more of a chance of over heating then

its going to take alot of work to hatch under a lamp, and theirs not going to be any humidity to help

9. Thomas82

Thomas82 Hatching

May 23, 2019
    I put pine shavings in the container with a damper towel under them and covered the co trainer so that there's a bit of moisture in there. I simply laid another towel over them. It's going to be rough to hatch them. I wish I had a broody hen that would take them but none of my hen's are sitting at this time.

10. Thomas82

Thomas82 Hatching

May 23, 2019
    As far as how many days, I'm not exactly sure, but my best guesstimate is around 23-25.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: