Need Advice re: Reintegrating Injured Bird into flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lbartsch, Nov 13, 2011.

1. lbartsch

lbartsch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2011
    As you might have read on earlier posts, we had a raccoon raid our coop one night a few weeks ago. We lost one bird and two others were injured. One was very seriously injured and one moderately so. Another bird escaped unharmed. They are all about 19 weeks old. We've been nursing the injured ones back to health. One of the injured ones has been staying in a pen in the garage while she heals. It's been about a month since the attack. The moderately injured one has been back outside in the coop for a little more than a week and that has been fine. Today I took the more injured one out into the yard to get some sun and air for a few minutes. She is still not supposed to be outside full-time until the skin on her leg is totally healed. It was ok for about 10 minutes and then the one that was unharmed started attacking the injured chicken. I separated them and just watched them. The injured one went off by herself. But anytime the unhurt one came anywhere near the injured one, she just started pecking at her head. Any advice on how I am going to get them back together so they can sleep in the coop together? Is this normal? I can't believe we've been working so hard to get her healed and then we'll just have a problem getting her back into the coop?! Help please.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would first wait until she can run real fast or defend herself.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I found AnnieBell lying on her side in the run one morning after a hard rain. Her flock mates were stepping on her and over her. She looked near death, so I brought her in the house and gave her a warm gentle bath (she was caked in muck), dried her with the hair dryer, wrapped her in a towel and held her so she could die comfortably. She took some water via dropper. Long story short, her flock mates will not accept her back. I've tried 3 times and they won't let her eat or drink and they keep her cornered. And so.... Presto-change-o.... House Chicken.

Of note, she was hatched with a sealed left eye which she eventually scratched open and She can't see well with that eye.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  4. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    oh no no no. Our injured chicken CANNOT possibly be house chicken now. No no no. There has to be a way to get them reintegrated. We have 4 cats and as much as I love this bird, I can't see her and the cats getting along. If we can't reintegrate, I'm going to have to find a new loving home for her or maybe for the one pecking her. The other one who was moderately injured is not getting pecked at at all. Thanks for your response, that just won't do for us I am afraid. Suggestions on how to reintegrate really needed. Thanks.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Integrate the two birds that were injured, then a week or so later add the uninjured bird to the mix.

6. lbartsch

Jul 3, 2011
    The two injured birds get a long just fine. Should I maybe try bringing the uninjured one out to the garage for a night with the other two and then putting them all outside?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by