NEED ADVICE- ROOSTER BEING ROUGH ON HENS-

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Shelby41393, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Shelby41393

Shelby41393 New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    So late last summer we lost one of our best roos to a hawk. We have over 20 girls so I know I needed another roo to help protect the flock because we generally free range them in a large section of our yard.
    I found a roo and introduced him to our flock. He found his spot, but has became rough on our girls. I have noticed he has been forceful, pulling feathers out of my girls etc. I have resorted to hens saddles, but I know that isn't the answer. He also will chase after them and grab about any spot he can with his beak.

Will this behavior get better or is getting rid of him our only option..

We have a lavender orp roo and a silkie roo, but they are both really good to our girls. ANY info is appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    How old is the crazy fella? If he's less than 18 months, maybe he will calm down, but personally he'd be in the crock pot. Members differ in their opinions as to the effectiveness of a roo as a flock guardian. In my experience, an alpha hen is just as effective at signalling alarms. When I don't wish to breed, my cock birds become dinner.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Those two are the good roos....and a third is the bad one??
    How long has this bad roo been in your flock?

4. Shelby41393

Shelby41393 New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    The bad roo is the EE. The lavender orp is a good one along with my silkie roo. The EE roo has been with my flock sinc3 last fall around September. He is around a year old.

5. Shelby41393

Shelby41393 New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    Thank you I am thinking he will end up being a meal..I haven't had to cull before so I know it won't be easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by