Need Advice...Should I medicate flock? Chicken died this morning.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iammamoo, Dec 5, 2011.

1. iammamoo

iammamoo New Egg

Dec 5, 2011
    Hi there. This is my first post, but I have found a lot of helpful information on this site in the past. Thank you.

We have a mixed flock of 7 (now 6) hens including 2 leghorns, a buff orphington, a polish, and more that I am unsure of breed. This morning one of the leghorns was very lethargic and wheezing. Her comb was a very bright red, almost purple. We brought her inside, put her with a heat lamp and I gave her some antibiotics (Duramycin-10). I thought she was probably too far gone, but hoped it would help. We just lost her. This came on VERY fast and I am worried about the others.

Our other chickens all seem to be doing well. I didn't notice any wheezing, etc with them. We did get 3 eggs this morning (which is average). I went out and thoroughly cleaned the chicken house. I usually keep it very clean and totally clean it out at a minimum every 2 weeks. It has been VERY cold the last couple of days (as we are in Colorado), but they have a lot of room in a large, insulated chicken house. They have just been cooped up the last few days due to the cold. I have heat lamps set on a "thermostat" that come on automatically and aim right at the perches. They have a heated water container, but the heater went out last night so the water did freeze overnight. They did have water fine yesterday though.

We eat the eggs (that is the reason we got the chickens) and I wanted to check if it is okay to consume them. I am hesitant to medicate the rest of the chickens because I know we will need to throw out the eggs for 2 weeks. I have a 2 year old son and I am pregnant and I am obviously worried about the flock, but I am also concerned about the health and wellbeing of myself and my family. I am worried about how fast this came on and we lost her!

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Katie

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    by all means...eat your eggs.
    Sounds to me like an upper respiratory problem cause of the wheezing mentioned, BUT I suppose this chicken could have had a problem with it's heart or some internal problem that isn't contagious. You will just need to watch everyone like a hawk and act very quickly if you see any sneezing, coughing or gasping. I have experience with one of the most common upper respiratory diseases in chickens (mycoplasma gallisepticum) and have lost birds in 1 night. I once lost 2 birds that looked fine one morning, were breathing heavy that night and died overnight long before I could even figure out what to do about it. I hope you are not dealing with that sort of thing. chickens do die of heart attacks and cancer and things that are not contagious.
    Good luck! and sorry for your loss...that always stinks [​IMG]

3. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    One of my hens died this morning too of an unknown illness. I'm very sorry about your loss. Good luck [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Since your other birds are ok, dont medicate them. As 'rcentner' stated, your eggs are safe to eat. Just FYI, there's a 21 day withdrawal period for duramycin 10.

5. iammamoo

iammamoo New Egg

Dec 5, 2011
    Thank you all for your advice. I will hold off on the medication. I would hate to have to throw out all of those eggs. I will keep a close eye on them and act fact if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by