Need advice to help my girls

Where do you live? What symptoms are you seeing? Can you take some droppings in to a vets to do a fecal float? What do the droppings look like? Do you have any pictures of the chickens or the droppings? Are you trying to keep their bedding as clean and dry as possible? They may need to be treated with a severe outbreak dosage of Corid, followed by 1/4 of that dosage for an additional 5-7 days. Sometimes a sulfa antibiotics may be needed if the strain is resisitant to Corid. Have you lost any chickens to it?

Hello Happycooleycamper, I moved this thread to the emergency thread, and merged it with your other thread. Hopefully someone can help with your question about corid and dosing. @Wyorp Rock , and @Eggcessive are good with health questions. Hopefully they can help out.

4 Plymouth/Barred Rocks 6 years ago
Louise starts separating herself from the others, closing her eyes when standing in a corner, ruffled and dirty looking, liquid yellow poop with some white. I found you guys. Got the Corid, first didn’t convert the ml to teaspoons correctly dosed for 7 days only 1 teaspoon per gallon of drinking water. I separated her but dosed them all as more yellow butts were starting. Everyone seemed better but not for long.
All of the ladies feathers and liquid butts, struggling to breath, head shaking and sneezing stopped within just a few days. That was maybe a month ago.
Today Louise occasionally in a corner standing with eyes closed, doing the head shake thing here and there. Liquid yellow butt of course. One of the Rocks just shot liquid yellow at me too. Louise is a RI.
Thelma died from sour crop I suspect from yeast from all of the Corid treatments.
Have 6 four month old Americanas not yet migrated with my old girls and I am so stressed over this sickness.
Symptoms of coccidiosis back again after 2 drinking water Corid rounds.
The first seven days dose was wrong. I only gave 1 tsp per gallon. They seemed to recover But symptoms returned within a few weeks.

gave seven days of the correct dose 2 teaspoons per gallon. Their feathers seemed to be shiny and less ruffled just a few days after second treatment, Liquid yellow poop stopped as well and no trouble breathing or head shaking

this is why I really do believe it is coccidiosis because corid seem to work but only for a short time.
Symptoms now back again. Less than a month.

mostly one bird is affected but at least one other has liquid yellow diarrhea with white.
Can you please post some photos of the poop and the hens?
How long ago did you move to new property?
All the birds that are sick are over 2 years old?

Struggling to breath, head shaking, sneezing...did they have mucous in the nostrils or bubbles in the eyes?

I agree, it would be a good idea to have a fecal float to check for Coccidiosis and worms.
Of course you can treat with the Corid, it won't hurt them, it's not an antibiotic.
Liquid Corid dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.

I would check everyone's crop when they go to roost, then re-check first thing in the morning before they eat/drink to make sure the crops are emptying.

Have you had any changes in feed?
You do have new birds as well, where are you housing them and where did they come from?

MA
What symptoms are you seeing? Lethargy or bloody droppings?
@Eggcessive might know what to treat with.

symptoms start with being alone in a corner, seem to be falling asleep standing up, ruffled looking and not nice shiny feathers. Liquid yellow /white diarrhea. Shake head like trying to dislodge something. Kind of like sneezing. Breathing that whole body moves when laying down. No longer runs just waddles slowly.

Before treatment the first time breathing through mouth/panting, lethargic

after about 3 days of Corid 2 teaspoons per 1 gallon, the shine came back to feathers, I washed butts and mo more mess and solid poop.
They never really stop eating or drinking. Not all seem to be affected each time. In fact Roseanne-the cinnamon never has had diarrhea Never a dirty butt and feathers look great.
Louise the RI Red always seems the weakest and first to show symptoms. She could barely breathe during quarantine. Her eggs haven’t been right ever since. Pointy with soft end. Takes her forever.

Just don’t get why the Corid gets them better if it isn’t coccidiosis? Maybe because I first treated them with the wrong lower dose the parasite is resistant to the Corid already?

Can you please post some photos of the poop and the hens?
How long ago did you move to new property?
All the birds that are sick are over 2 years old?

Struggling to breath, head shaking, sneezing...did they have mucous in the nostrils or bubbles in the eyes?

I agree, it would be a good idea to have a fecal float to check for Coccidiosis and worms.
Of course you can treat with the Corid, it won't hurt them, it's not an antibiotic.
Liquid Corid dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water and Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Give as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.

I would check everyone's crop when they go to roost, then re-check first thing in the morning before they eat/drink to make sure the crops are emptying.

Have you had any changes in feed?
You do have new birds as well, where are you housing them and where did they come from?

We moved a little over a year ago.

The Reds and cinnamons were the most affected. One of the Barred gets the yellow diarrhea.
Reds were just a bit over 2 in May when I had the first issue.
One of the 2 year olds was blowing bubbles through nose. But I kind of think that was the one with sour crop after treatment. I do remember seeing something fly out of one when she sneezed but just can‘T be sure if it was the one with sour crop or not.

First treatment of Corid in May I did conversion wrong and only gave 1 teaspoon liquid per gallon and no other water access. 7 days

by June same birds same symptoms. Googled got this site and did it 2 teaspoons liquid per gal 7 days no other access. They recovered beautifully.

Now just a few days ago my RI/same bird standing alone again in corner, kind of spacey, closing eyes when standing up, body moves more then others when laying down and breathing, head shake here and there, has that dumpy slow waddle doesn’t run and again messy yellow white butt. One Barred made that liquid poop sound right in front of me yesterday and it was yellow and white. It isn’t bad yet but if history repeats itself it’s going to get a lot worse.

I did change feed from agway where I used to live to tractor supply here. I try to still go to agway when I can but they do get what TS offers sometimes. I did just feed medicated chick feed to the old girls when I first got the chicks in May. And recently put them back on layer feed from agway.

The new Americanas are 4 months old. Purchased at Tractor Supply all others at agway. The first outbreak was before I had the new ones. They are in a separate coop and run and haven’t been in contact with the big girls until recently. I let them all out in the yard every few days at the same time. I only started-this when everyone seemed well. To get them used to each other. Babies do run into the large run now when they are loose and visa versa. Babies are on medicated chick feed and all are on hydro hen3in1. And fresh water. I started giving yogurt once a week to all after reading an article about sour crop and Corid.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom