Need advice TONIGHT!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chloe, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Chloe

Chloe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi everyone, I have call duck eggs in an rcom suro king, humidity has been at 55% until today, they have been in 21 days, thing is i dont know if i should stop turning them today? and what humidity do i increase it to? Ive never hatched ducks before and im desperate to get atleast one! time here is 22.10 so need to know soon if i am to stop them turning!

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
  3. Chloe

Chloe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Ireland
    thanks! although I am thinking that 90% is very high?

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Not for ducks, 90% is great for them. Remember they have evolved to hatch beneath water fowl, who would be very wet around the bottoms.

I know call ducks are 'small' ducks, but from what I understand, ducks have a 28 day incubation cycle (and the only exception is muscovys, who have a 35 day cycle). Do not stop turning them until day 25 if this is the case, or day 24 if you believe they are small enough for a slightly shorter incubation period. My own ducks started hatching a couple days early, around day 26, and the hatch didn't end until 3 days after the actual hatch date- Day 31.

5. Chloe

Chloe Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Ireland
    thanks yeah ive had loads of completely different advice from everyone i just dont know what to do! its all very confusing lol and i cant really afford trial and error because obviously I cant get any more call duck eggs til next year!

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    PM Scott at Ozark Bantams. He's the call duck hatching expert here. [​IMG] He and I have different duck hatching practices and don't always agree, but I respect his advice and would turn to him with call duck questions any day. Good luck!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by