Need advice weak chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fostiakk, May 26, 2019.

1. Fostiakk

Fostiakk In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Hi - over the years I have read many of the BYC posts. I need help and can’t find exactly what I need - hoping someone can help. I have had strangely good luck so haven’t had this kind of issue before.

Sorry for the long post...My good brown hen hatched three eggs - she is a flock “mutt” no idea of breed, great layer great mom (usually)

Two hatched in 24 hours , the third 48 hours after. Third chick was quite small. Did ok for four days ran around eating drinking etc, but is so small (could be bantam I have one bantam Roo, would be surprised but it’s not impossible ) that it kept getting knocked over and couldn’t get up. And yesterday my hen was really caring for the other two but not her. Now she can’t stand on her own. She is one week old today and is very small - hasn’t really grown.

I have brought her to the house under a lamp and feather duster. Feeding every 45 min, She will eat and drink small amounts out of my hand only and an eye dropper. Giving water with vitamins and boiled egg and wet mash.

Maybe it’s a flipper ? Failure to thrive? I really have no idea. And none of the threads I have read quite fit what I’m seeing. When she tries to move she falls to one side, can’t walk. Definitely can move her legs and wants to, but can’t balance. Her head position seems fine. She tries to peep and sometimes can’t. Maybe she got too cold or dehydrated, I just don’t know.

Any and all advice appreciated

I’ll try to post a video not sure how. Below is a pic of me feeding this am. Very small for a week old

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. MochaDuck

MochaDuck Songster

Jun 7, 2018
    Wyorp Rock and Fostiakk like this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would give her some Poultry Cell vitamins or another type of vitamin that has riboflavin, 1/2 ml daily. Poultry NutriDrench does not contain riboflavin, but get that is you can’t find the Poultry Cell. What you are doing with giving egg and wet feed is exactly what I would do. Have you checked for pasty butt? Keep her warm as you are. Look at her legs to make sure that she doesn’t have a leg bone deformity, slipped tendon, or splayed legs. Leg bone deformities can be vaus valgus deformity which looks either knock kneed or bowlegged, and can affect one or bith legs. A slipped tendon may cause her to hold one leg outward to the side or forward. An internal problem could cause her not to thrive. I hope you can save her.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Fostiakk

Fostiakk In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Thanks so much. This is pretty rough- definitely something with the legs or balance. When she falls she thrusts her legs out behind her and lands on face and side. And she mainly falls. Keeping her warm and fed, she does eat and is very alert and good natured. Will do on the riboflavin. I put bandaid hobbles and “sandals” on . Gave her more stability when sitting but, she is not very stable

I’m out of tricks. Will keep the vigil

J

5. Fostiakk

Fostiakk In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Update - took her to an avian emergency vet who specializes in chickens- posting in case this happens to someone else. She likely has some kind of infection and leg weakness. The vet was optimistic since this chick is bright and alert. She will be on antibiotics for ten days. She has been rigged up in a sling with two cups, hobbles, and wrap pic attached. So that she can gain balance and strength while she heals.

Fingers crossed

Attached Files:

tpatricco likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: