Need advice whether to add a window or not

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GoChick, Sep 30, 2011.

1. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    My husband is building a new coop, and we're having some difference of opinion on whether to add a window to the East side of the coop.

He wants to add it, so in winter there will be east light coming in early in the morning, helping to warm the coop. otherwise, he worries the birds will be freezing all winter long.
    I don't want to add it, because the coop already has 3 windows and a glass door, and one more will mean one more dirty window to clean - plus, I prefer to have wall space. Also, I prefer if there is no East light coming in, hoping the rooster will sleep in late [​IMG] (yeah right - good luck with that...)

The three existing windows are on the North and West sides - no windows on the South or East sides - see picture below.

I need BYC to help solve our dilemma!

[​IMG]

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    That coop has more air flow than you will ever need!!

JMHO

3. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    The only reason I would say yes is to allow more light to encourage egg laying in the winter! Your coop looks great, your flock should be happy either way!

4. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    IMHO I don't think you need another window... looks like your gals should get plenty of light and ventilation! (although not nearly as much as they'd get if the windows were on the south and west side of the coop). Maybe you two could reach a compromise...? Instead of a full sized window, what about a smaller 2ft x 2 ft? Just a peeper window higher up to allow for wall space usage and yet just big enough to allow light to shine through?

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:LIGHT?? she has just on 2 sides she has 3 windows 3' X 6' and a glass door of 4' X6 not including the 2 other walls. There is a ton of light already. Glass transfers Hot and cold and if to much window surface the cold will be transferred right into the coop.

How many more windows on the other two side of the coop?

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Quote:LIGHT?? she has just on 2 sides she has 3 windows 3' X 6' and a glass door of 4' X6 not including the 2 other walls. There is a ton of light already. Glass transfers Hot and cold and if to much window surface the cold will be transferred right into the coop.

Just thinking first light at sunrise...

7. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010

there are no windows on the other walls - only what you see in the pict - 2 + glass door on the North wall, plus one window on the West wall. We're in Central NC, so I was more worried about the hot summers, thus north windows. also, note the ventilation on the eves... the windows will be protected by 1/4" hardware cloth, so I will be able to keep them open during summer. the run will be on the East side, covered and enclosed in 1/4" hardware cloth with apron... hopefully safe enough for the birds at night - they will be free ranging in an area protected by electric poultry netting during the day. I placed a trail camera near this area, and got raccoon, opossum, foxes and coyotes... so it needs to be really predator proof as I would never be able to get rid of all predators... ouch

8. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010
    Quote:hummm I like this idea... compromise on a smaller window...

9. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    How about rotating the coop so the windows face SE & SW? [​IMG]

10. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010
    Quote:LOL - u try telling my husband that... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by