Need advice with baby chicks and adults and cold weather in NJ

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by StarWarsChicken, Nov 14, 2013.

1. StarWarsChicken

StarWarsChicken New Egg

Nov 7, 2013
    Last May we ventured into the chicken world. We ended up with 9 red sex links, a California White, and 5 random bantams. (Three are roosters.)

They have a coop that we lock them in at night but they are free-ranged during the day. We thought we were collecting the eggs everyday but one of our bantam hens was laying eggs in our loft in the garage. On October 15th, we heard cheeping and found three baby chicks! We are in NJ, so it was getting cold at this point but mom (who's name is Padme) was taking care of them. Then two days later she stopped and left them alone. We found them on their side, near death. We got them set up in our basement in a box with a heatlamp. Two bounced back but we lost one.

They are now 4 weeks old and doing well. Still in the basement with a heat lamp. They are getting big fast but all of our roosters are bantams and they had a bantam mom so I assume they will not be big birds.

It's cold and it will get colder. Will we have to keep these chicks in our basement until March, when it will get warm enough? Or should we set them up in a crate in the coop with a heat lamp when they are 8 weeks old?

They will never be as big as our red sex links so I'm not sure when the proper time to introduce them would be. Any advice?

Thanks!

2. chickenlindz

chickenlindz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    I'm a newbie so take my advice with a grain of salt...

I'm also in NJ and have babies.... From what I've read as long as they are fully feathered and acclimated to the cold they should be ok.

So what I'm going to do is once they are fully feathered take some time getting them acclimated to cold weather before they go out for real. They're in my garage now but with all the heat lamps my garage is warmer than my house. So once they are full feathered I'll make sure that they have a little heat in the garage but I'll slowly decrease until it's almost as cold outside. This way I can also keep an eye on them.

I'll put them outside in the winter but I'll make sure that it's not during a really cold stretch.

I don't think you need to wait til March but you might be keeping them in a little longer than if it was the spring.

Just my plan... But again I'm a newbie too.

3. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like a good plan to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by