need advice with rehabilitating hounds

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewChickenMom, Oct 27, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i have taken over the task of rehabilitating hounds from my hunt club. they have several hounds that are either too old to hunt, not hunting well or not getting along with other hounds because they are intact males. my job is to take them, get them used to house living and then adopt them out to loving families.

i brought home my first project yesterday after opening hunt. she is an 8 year old crossbred hound named Dreamer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

she was really good, no accidents, but she hasn't eaten very much and would rather drink water puddles outside. shes scared to death of the tv and prefers to sleep in the kitchen on a blanket. she gets along with the other dogs, cats, chickens, ducks and geese. i'm just looking for advice on getting her used to everyday happenings of house-life. she doesn't want treats and prefers petting. any ideas?

2. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    [​IMG] for doing rehab! I am a foster mom for Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue.

She looks a bit shell shocked, but I am sure she will come around. I wouldnt give up on treats yet, I think as she adjusts she will become more willing to eat them and they are a great tool for positive reinforcement. Give her lots of rubs and attention anytime she chooses to interact with you or comes out of her shell in any way. Try not to fawn over her while she is really withdrawn. When she really starts to blossom, keep treats in your pocket and toss them out to her when she starts to make steps toward dealing with the "scary" stuff. Sounds like she will be a great pet! Sending you both my best wishes [​IMG]

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    we've only ever had greyhounds, which pose such a different set of issues to the kind you're doing. I wish you best of luck.

4. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    its normal for them to go off feed for a while after getting into a new home,she will eat when she settles down,as far as only wanting to sleep in the kitchen on her blanket,that is a good thing,many people dont want dogs climbing all over their furniture so I would praise her for laying on the blanket..as for other house things she will get used to them,just dont force anything new onto her,let her adjust on her own time and things should go fine for you,but you can start obedience training right away,that always helps.

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Best of luck [​IMG] and I admire you for doing this!

6. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    I'm no expert, but here is what I know...
    It is not uncommon for an animal to go off feed when it goes to a new home but she just might want what she is use to. If you don't know what she was fed before, you might want to find out. Also, she has lived in a cage. Most all dogs do well in a crate, but she is use to it. You might consider getting her a crate where she can go to sleep and feel safe. Just leave the door open so she can wander out to get use to her new surroundings.
    Let her set the pace and you both should do well!
    Fostering is rewarding and more people should do it! Give yourself a pat on the back.[​IMG]

7. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    Griffin45 has some good advice I think. If she is used to a crate or small kennel, she may be more comfortable with a crate she can retreat to. She may even be more comfortable eating in it.

Anyway, I think she has an absolutely beautiful face, but I'm a sucker for a hound - love those eyes and ears.

8. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    thought i'd update everyone on Dreamer.

she's been at the food bowl a couple of times and goes outside with the rest of the dogs to go potty. she's eaten a few "treats", some pieces of cheese and some tidbits of dinner. i know its bad, but its getting her out of her shell and she doesn't beg. she is still pretty reserved, but wags her tail a lot when she greets me. i gave her a vaccine shot, some heartgard and frontline yesterday. she took it all in stride. she's still pretty scared of the tv and pretty much stays on her blanket all day. i think she'll be ready for a new home in a couple of weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by