Need advice with Tension/Migraine Headaches

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Boyd, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Was wondering if anybody knows of any home remedies for tension/migraine headaches. I used to get them in my teens but rarely get them as an adult. Watching NCIS last night one started walloping me something good. I tried to take a quick nap (because that's what usually works best) and woke up a half hour later with one so bad it had my cryin and unable to get off the couch. Me thinks the gremlins crawled in my ears and was beating the back of my eyes with little hammers.... Ended up with a heating pad under the back of my neck, a cold washcloth over my eyes and the wife trying to work the tension out of my shoulders, neck and back of my head. In the end I ended up taking my migraine pills, and my blood pressure medicine (early yes but it was due in 5 hours later in the morning). That finally worked enough for me to get up, use the bathroom and go to bed.

Woke up today..... its still there, but not quite as sharp as it was before. I haven't been awake for all that long really, and trying to feed the headache coffee (sometimes that worked as a kid) but I am ready to go hide in a dark cave for a while and listen to Chopin or Tchaikovsky. Very quietly of course.

Now what I take for these migraines leave me unable to drive while they are hitting me hard, so I am curious if there is something else I could try? I have flexeril and fioricet to take the edge off the pain enough to function when they are rolling hard (headaches that is)

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    For migraines I take a shower (yes yes sounds nuts) The sound of the water falling makes white noise and blocks out the other sounds, so I go in, leave the light off, strip down and lay in the tub with the water falling, and a rag over my eyes, I often fall asleep like that.

3. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Hm..... and I have an almost limitless supply of hot water... [​IMG]

4. chrissum

chrissum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    NWMO USA
    My wife suffered with migraines for years. FInally after the meds were hurting her stomach her dr sent her to physical therapy and after the first visit the pain was reduced by 75%! Visits are generally an hour and she went to 7-10 visits I think but now she is relatively pain free. I feel for you and hope you get some relief soon!

5. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    I have found over the counter Excedrin to work almost as well as prescription meds for most of my migraines.

6. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I've tried that [​IMG]

I was on the clinical trials for immitrex, and took many over the counter as well as prescription drugs. The combination I have now will clobber the headache, but at the cost of any rational thought (well, depends on who you ask... I may never be 100% rational... oh look, a squirrel) and unless I take the med bottles with me, I'd never pass a drug test. Heat works to a limited degree, as well as the wife trying to work the muscle tension out of my neck and back of my head, but gotta have something to either drown or poison the little gremlins that are sitting behind my eyes.

7. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    It might sound silly and I was against it for the longest time.
    One day I just started doing it and have done it every day since..

Meditating.

Go to youtube and look up a guided meditation for relaxation. The longer the better (i think youtube only allows 10 mins a video).
    I found one for past life regression which was about 15-20 mins long linking 3 videos. I know thats what youre not interested in but Im metioning it because it got me VERY relaxed.

Im not a medicate the problem type person. It takes A LOT for me to take an advil. I always try to do it the most natural ways

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Ah- I am the queen of migraines!

None of the major stuff works for me- I'm one of the group that they don't work on...lucky ones, huh?

Showers work for many because the hot water opens up the vascular system- relieving the pressure in the head, due to some of the volume going to the rest of the body. Coffee and Excedrin work the same way because they are vasodilators, too. Excedrin contains caffeine. A hot bath will often work, too, for the same reason.

I am lucky enough to be helped most of the time by a small dose of hydrocodone with a lot of Ibuprofen and acetaminophen- I take an 800 mg Ibuprofen with a 5/500 hydrocodone. It's not enough to make me ineffective (a little dopey) but enough to stop it if I catch it early. If I don't, I'm stuck crying and vomiting until I pass out, and maybe the next day I'll get rid of it.

I have found a massage will help a lot if I've been hanging on to one for a couple of days- makes a big difference to go to a massage therapist. You should give that a whirl once a month as a preventative with all the stress you guys have going on. Both of you should!

Edited to add: Many times, insurance will cover massage as treatment if you can get your doc to see it as preventative. Also, chiropractic care and accupuncture are my favorite when the headaches start coming in really thickly.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  9. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    meditation, acupuncture and massages... [​IMG] These are the next on my list of things to try [​IMG] Any particular type of massage work better than others?

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I know this might sound crazy, but I put a belt around my head and tighten it up. It relieves the pressure. It works for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by