Need advice.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lythy, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Lythy

Lythy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    So I have already 10 hybrid hens in a 6x6 coop and a run 18x6 inc coop floor. Now I remember reading on here before that a member had kept hens at 10sqft before and swears he never will again after seeing the difference.
    I cannot find that post so I'm asking here what was the big difference. My hens seem happy enough no fighting etc. And laying well.
    I'm about to complete a coop and run 30x6 for 3 jersey Giants but now I'm thinking perhaps the hybrids would be better in this. Do the jersey Giants need a lot more space than hybrids.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are so many differences in our flock make-ups, climate, management techniques, goals, individual chicken’s personalities, set-ups, just everything is unique. You have to be very careful taking what one person says and relating that to your situation. The requirements for a flock of four hens all the same age are quite a bit different than for someone with a flock that contains several roosters, broody hens raising chicks with the flock, and/or always integrating new chickens. I suggest you follow the link in my signature below. It might help you understand better from my perspective.

I always advocate more room. I find I have fewer behavioral problems, have to work less hard, and have more flexibility dealing with problems when I have extra room. I also do not believe in magic numbers. Many people can get by quite well with less room than I think I need. Some people need more. It depends on their unique situation.

3. Lythy

Lythy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    Thank you for such a speedy reply my wife thinks I should leave them alone they all seem very happy. I don't want to create 1 either. I'm lucky that all my hens get on and let me hold n stroke them.
    I have made a large chicken swing for them they seem to love it.

4. jhhess

jhhess Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2015
    Patterson, California
    Chicken swing? Pictures please. I need to see a chicken swing. I think my chickens would be afraid of getting on a swing. Perhaps I'm underestimating them.

Janis

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Advanced search>titles only>chicken swing

6. jhhess

jhhess Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2015
    Patterson, California
    Thanks!

7. Lythy

Lythy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    Been so busy sorry will get some pics tomorrow of the swing. A few of my hens love it. Keeps them busy.

8. yochickiemomma

yochickiemomma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Michigan
    My chickens use my suspended feeder and water container for swings. I thought it was funny the first time I saw it. I guess they like to swing too. Lol

9. Lythy

Lythy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2015
    [​IMG]
    my chicken swing

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Need to see the whole thing....how does it hang?
    Pipes are probably more stable than chains.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by