1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by taz0812, Oct 5, 2015.

1. taz0812

taz0812 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2015
    My pekin didn't lay an egg yesterday or today yet..that I know of. She usually lays in her pen. Today she is moving slow but eating and drinking. Now she is laying moving her tail up and down. I'm figuring she may be having trouble getting the egg out. So my question is when I should be worried and any suggestions on what to do to help her.

2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

That could be the reason or that she is starting to go through molt, they don't lay and get really lethargic during molt

3. taz0812

Jun 20, 2015
    Thanks I just don't want anything to happen to her. I'll keep my eye on her. I Didn't know how important calcium is for ducks until I started researching her possibly having an egg stuck. Anyway I don't give her oyster shells or anything like that which I will start immediately. If she does have an egg stuck will that help her get it out?

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I warm water swim can sometimes help and it certainly won't hurt to try.

1 person likes this.
  5. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Can you gently feel her lower abdomen to see if you can feel an egg in there? You'll want to be careful you don't break the egg in there of course, but it's important to figure out if she is eggbound because that can be life-threatening. Like lomine said, a nice long soak in some warm water should help her relax and maybe help her get the egg out if she is indeed eggbound. You can also put some petroleum jelly up into her cloaca to help with some lubrication. A shot of calcium is often the treatment for eggbound ducks at the vet's, so I would think if you gave her some extra calcium now that could also help. If memory serves, the extra calcium basically causes contractions to help the bird get the egg out more quickly. Not sure if she'd eat enough to get the same benefit as a calcium shot, but it certainly won't hurt.

If none of this works, she really needs to get to a vet asap if she is indeed eggbound. Like I said, that is a life-threatening condition.

6. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    One can get injectable calcium from Tractor Supply:
    23% Calcium Gluconate.

[​IMG]

The amount I give orally or by injection is 0.2ml per pound of body weight. Refrigerate after opening.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  7. taz0812

Jun 20, 2015
    She seems to be acting normal now. They free range during the day so not sure if she layed an egg or not. Will check tomorrow to see if I can feel an egg. She's not super tame but if I get her straight from her pen she should be easier to catch her. Of course I don't want to break the egg if its there so I'll have to be careful. Thanks for all your advice. I think I will get her on some extra calcium immediately

8. taz0812

Jun 20, 2015
    I believe she may just be moulting. I've found alot of feathers in her cage for a few days now and this morning when I let her out she was her chipper self. No egg but as long as she is a ting normal I guess I shouldn't be concerned. Are there any other signs of moulting I should be looking for?

9. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't move a lot during molt

10. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    If you've been finding alot of feathers in her pen each morning, then it likely IS just a moult and they do not lay while moulting. Hope that's all it is! :)

Also, very cool that you can get injectable calcium at Tractor Supply Store! I had no idea. Times like these I really miss living in the US. Everything is so easily available over there.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by