Need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ravismomma, Dec 10, 2016.

1. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    I have two hens. My Silkie is sneezing, so I just isolated her and started on denaguard. I have had a hen necropsied and test positive for MG/MS.
    I will treat her for 3 days and see if there's improvement.
    However I'm concerned for her partner. It's getting cold, down to 20 at night. I'm concerned for her alone in the coop without her partner to warm with. Should I bring her in too? Can I crate her next to the Silkie? I could give her a preventative dose while I have them both isolated?
    Thoughts?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    This goes against what I normally recommend, but if they were mine, I think I would bring them both in.
    If it were warmer I would suggest otherwise.

I know that you have been dealing with this for a while and have done more research/reading on the Denagard. Since they both are normally housed together (they would be exposed to same illness) , I would think you could crate them together and give the preventative dose to both.

Just my thoughts. I hope she gets better soon.

3. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016
    @Wyorp Rock thanks for responding. I wound up bringing both in but keeping separate. I just put my EE out side to range for the day, I'll crate her inside each night so she doesn't get too cold but let her out during the day.
    I'll keep the Silkie inside and treat/dose with the denaguard. I'm going to not dose the EE and see what happens, I treat their water daily with ropa poultry and I want to see if the EE needs it before I dose. There is so much water available right now (WA rain) that unless I keep her crated I can't prevent her from getting other water sources.

Fingers crossed my Silkie gets better!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks for the update!

I have heard of the Ropa, but haven't done much research on it - would be interested in seeing what results you have. Sounds promising.

I hope everything goes well for you, keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by