1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ljc01, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Ljc01

Ljc01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2016
    Nipomo, Ca
    My neighbor got two new birds today. She just put the new birds in with the existing birds. She had one of her older chickens, the low bird in the old picking order, fly at one of the new birds with her talons out. She said that it looked like the cock fighting she has seen on TV.
    She put that bird is a dog crate for a few hours and then tried again. She said that older bird was trying to peck the eyes out of the new birds. She said that this bird had always been a loner, sort of away from the rest of the flock, but never aggressive before.
    Now my neighbor is afraid of this chicken and does not want to keep it. I have taken the chicken and put in my spare coop.
    My questions is, should I try and integrate this one bird with my flock or not? This chicken is around 18 weeks old from the looks of her. My flock is a mix age group.

I will keep this bird in my spare coop until we decide what to do next.

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not do it, no experience yet but from everything I have read here I have decided to maintain a closed flock, no adult birds coming in, only baby chicks in the spring.

Good luck

Gary

3. Ljc01

Jun 5, 2016
    Nipomo, Ca
    All of our birds come from the same breeder. I am not concerned about this bird bring disease into my flock.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    In my opinion it is her way of no longer being the bottom on the pecking order. I have had the same thing happen with my birds. They ones who are lower in the pecking order want to make sure that these new birds coming in will not be above them in the pecking order. I don't separate them I allow them to figure it out on their own. I have never had it come to serious injury or death eventually one backs down or my rooster comes in and separates it.

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hey there Ljc01 I agree with Gary and keep a closed flock. There is still a chance of introducing a disease or pest even though you do know the breeder but I note that you are willing to take that chance.

I believe if you try and introduce her to your flock straight away, they will do to her what she did to the newbies at her original home.

I would be surprised if she became aggressive with your flock from the get go as her reaction to the newbies was what most chickens do to intruders on their territory. She is no longer in her territory and is now the newbie so will probably be placid.

If you can keep her separate from the rest of the flock via some wire or something similar so that they can look and communicate but not touch for a week or so, this should soften the amount of bullying she receives when she is integrated.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

I'd say quarantine is moot at this point..new birds have already been added and neighbors probably visit each others coops.

Lots of Space is key, and understanding how chicken society works.
    Sounds like ya'll need to read up on integration.
    BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading, tho some info is outdated IMO:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

7. Ljc01

Jun 5, 2016
    Nipomo, Ca
    Just wanted to post an update. Everyone is getting along fine, just the normal chicken squabbling. The new bird is in the big coop sleeping on the top bar with everyone else.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Glad to hear that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by