Need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aidenbaby, Apr 18, 2009.

1. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I've been struggling trying to nurse a chick back from being injured during shipping to the feed store (yup, one of those "free" chicks). Her crop has been hard and for a while I thought she was turning around. However, I found out that she isn't drinking water nor is she growing even with the extra vitamins and electrolytes. Recently, she is refusing to drink even being watered and fed through an eye drop. Add to it, the poor thing sleeps almost constantly. Would you keep trying after 4 days or cull her?

If I cull, it is going to have to be the baking soda/vinegar method. It would hurt me more to break her neck. Plus, I don't know what I'd be doing and would probably screw it up.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sorry, sounds like you will need to cull, if you don't it will probably be gone by this evening anyway.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It certainly doesn't sound good, but I cannot make that decision for you. It is one that you will have to make on your own. I have been in your position several times in the past. Culling is never an easy decision to make.

4. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    Well, I did it. The hardest part was pouring the vinegar. I'm about to drown my sorrows in Ben & Jerry's when my DH gets home. I'm not sure whether to tell the kids or not, I just don't know if they will even notice. The kids are my own two (3 yo and 1 yo) and my daycare kids (6 yo, 4 yo and 1 yo). It just breaks my heart that I tried so hard and she just wasn't going to make it. [​IMG]

5. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I tried to cull using the baking soda vinegar method.

It didnt work. It was so horrific. I did it JUST like they said to too.

Next time Iam either lopping heads off, or breaking necks.

6. aidenbaby

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I probably overdid it. I used about 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar. I just wanted to make sure that it was done the first time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by