need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by racepondUSA, Nov 11, 2010.

1. racepondUSA

racepondUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    wats the best thing to give chickens that hve colds and wat is the beast thing to use for mites

2. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:Not what you want to hear, but the best thing for chickens with "cold" like symptoms is to cull and bury them as deep as possible or burn them. You can Thank me a few years down the Rd.. For mites and lice Sevin 5% or any of the poultry dust that are available are good..

3. racepondUSA

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    i used sevn dust and a spray i got from a local feed store in there pen and i put vet rx under there wings and in there water for the colds yesterday and they are looking better already

4. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    A spray to kill the mites in the coop? I'd love to know what that spray is. We've sprayed with a linseed oil/keroseen mix before to get rid of mites in the coop cracks, but if there is a spray out there, that would be so much easier. Glad your birds are doing better. I know a lot o people put the vet Rx in the drinking water to help relieve cold like symptoms.

5. racepondUSA

Oct 13, 2010
    Racepond
    ill post the name of it tommro its out in the shed were i keep all the animal suplies but ill see wat the name is in the morning

6. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Awesome, thanks.

7. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    If I notice too much sneezing I'll put them on some antibiotic and Sulmet from the feed store. Can't remember the name of the antibiotic off hand but its powdered and you put it in water along with the Sulmet. Also, make sure your coop does not have a strong ammonia odor because that can give them respiratory problems too. A good cleaning with some clorox if that is the case and fresh clean bedding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by