NEED ADVICE!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HenriettaBB, Nov 20, 2014.

1. HenriettaBB

HenriettaBB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2014
    I got really attached to my chickens named them and learned their personalities. Today my dad came in and said there was a hawk outside. Sure enough, One of my chickens was taken. Except it didn't seem like a hawk killed her. More like a raccoon or coyote. But it was at three in the afternoon! Please give me advice because I cannot have this happen again. I can't lose another one of my babies!!!:(

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  2. HenriettaBB

Sep 14, 2014
    Do I need to get a rooster??

3. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    sorry for your loss

are your birds free range?

and roosters are not entirely necessary but there helpful in sounding an alarm and distracting.. at least mine is :p

4. HenriettaBB

Sep 14, 2014
    Yes they r free range and I'm getting a rooster today actually! A 5 month old Rhode Island Red like the rest of my girls! I'm so anxious for him to get here! His name is roadrunner

5. HenriettaBB

Sep 14, 2014
    I got a rooster yesterday but as my dad went to put him in the coop he flew away and never came back!:( my brothers and I looked all mornin and even took the tracking dog but no trace of him:(

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What the heck is going on?!

7. HenriettaBB

Sep 14, 2014
    Wow! I hav pretty good luck! My dad got a rooster and the old one came back when we got the new one!:)

8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Your old rooster likely was out gallivanting about looking for lonely hens when he heard the new rooster crow. The old rooster then decided he better stick closer to the coop or risk loosing the hens he already had. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by