1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need advice!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmermoss, Dec 14, 2014.

1. farmermoss

farmermoss New Egg

Dec 13, 2014
    So my hen layed her fist egg so did my quail but she is not sitting on it. She is in a pen with two roosters so im pretty sure there fertile. Im hopeing to use her to hatch my puail eggs. Along with hers.She is a silkie bantam. So i dnt know why she isnt going broody. If the eggs r cold should i discard them or leave them. She is laying them in the same nest box. Two so far. I put 3quail eggs in there two . I hope she starts to sit on them

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    She will sit when she's ready. Just because a hen starts laying, doesn't mean she'll start sitting. It sounds like your Silkie is still pretty young, I wouldn't expect her to try out sitting until she gets into the swing of things and the weather warms up.
    I would gather the eggs, if they're sitting out in the cold, they won't be any good for hatching anyway. And, for what its worth, my Silkies will start brooding even if there aren't eggs in the nest boxes. If you still want to try to encourage her, use some golf balls or plastic Easter eggs. If she starts, collect some eggs for her to sit on and swap them out at night.

Good luck.

3. farmermoss

farmermoss New Egg

Dec 13, 2014
    Thank you. I hope she does soon.i want to use her as a foster mom for my quail eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by