Need advise can I convert this to a coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wannabchick, Jan 27, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4400914

I
    just had one made, but do not have that kinda of money for a second..

Goal, mount on cart

What do u think

I decided I need two coops for sure, seeing I have amerecauna eggs in the incubator now

And favorelle eggs, and marans on their way in feb

Keep in mind my goal is larger hens in one coop and bantams in the other

Oh what to do.. What to do...lol

Then connect the two coops with a black kennel

I figured if anyone knows, I could add hardwire and removable plexiglass for windows, cut out area for hen door, and mount outside nest boxes..as I've seen for sale on

Flooring... Osb plywood

Do you think this doable

2. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    We have a plastic playhouse coop. It is not easy to predator proof, however, so ours sits inside our Ft. Knox secured run. We are in New England and right now we have tons of snow and it can get chilly. I put spray foam inside the walls to insulate. Plexi on the windows, shutter the windows and then duct-taped around the edges to keep draft out. More spray foam at the joints of the walls and up under the "eaves" on the sides. I left the "eaves" open on the front and back for ventilation. I then used plastic spray paint the same color as the house to paint over any showing foam so the chickens would not peck at it. Silicone sealant across the top to keep the rain out. Lots of hay on a brick floor for my gals. The six of them manage to keep it pretty cozy.

Here's a pic I took this morning. The plank coming out of the side was supposed to have been sawn off after the roost was installed, but the girls love sitting on it so much that I left it there.
    [​IMG]

3. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Luke13:34 :

We have a plastic playhouse coop. It is not easy to predator proof, however, so ours sits inside our Ft. Knox secured run. We are in New England and right now we have tons of snow and it can get chilly. I put spray foam inside the walls to insulate. Plexi on the windows, shutter the windows and then duct-taped around the edges to keep draft out. More spray foam at the joints of the walls and up under the "eaves" on the sides. I left the "eaves" open on the front and back for ventilation. I then used plastic spray paint the same color as the house to paint over any showing foam so the chickens would not peck at it. Silicone sealant across the top to keep the rain out. Lots of hay on a brick floor for my gals. The six of them manage to keep it pretty cozy.

Here's a pic I took this morning. The plank coming out of the side was supposed to have been sawn off after the roost was installed, but the girls love sitting on it so much that I left it there.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/64662_snow_007.jpg

wow thats still alot of work.. LOL/ I was hoping it wouldnt be as much due to the fact its wood.. I think thats wood.. is that wood.. LOL

but thank you for all your personal advice..... just wondering how to insert plexiglass... to take in and out... hehehehe

I am noooooooooooooooooooooooooo carpenter..hehehe

again, thank you so much for sharing your advise with me​

4. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Is the one you are looking at actually wood? Now that I look closer, it does look like wood, but it doesn't say. Hmm... Yeah, wood might be easier to screw (although it was not difficult to screw into the plastic either, using an electric screwdriver). You may still need to weatherproof your playhouse.. silicone seal around the top and joints. It isn't all that hard. I'm a 40 yr old woman and did all the work myself.

For my plexi.. i did it a very hard way, LOL... I used a boxcutter to make a slit in the plastic window frameand actually inserted the plexi in between the walls of the house. Don't recommend that method, though. You could probably just screw it directly onto the window.

That is a very cute playhouse.. now go find out what it is made of, LOL!

5. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Luke13:34 :

Is the one you are looking at actually wood? Now that I look closer, it does look like wood, but it doesn't say. Hmm... Yeah, wood might be easier to screw (although it was not difficult to screw into the plastic either, using an electric screwdriver). You may still need to weatherproof your playhouse.. silicone seal around the top and joints. It isn't all that hard. I'm a 40 yr old woman and did all the work myself.

For my plexi.. i did it a very hard way, LOL... I used a boxcutter to make a slit in the plastic window frameand actually inserted the plexi in between the walls of the house. Don't recommend that method, though. You could probably just screw it directly onto the window.

That is a very cute playhouse.. now go find out what it is made of, LOL!

Thank u that made me feel better..I too can't seem to figure out if it's wood.. Looks like it

Wonder now if I should silicone the new coop? I had made..

So I can just screw in the plexiglass from the inside.. Awesome

Thank u again

Carol​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by