Need Advise, chicken with head split open

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sabrina 42, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Sabrina 42

Sabrina 42 New Egg

Aug 24, 2012
    Our new Silkie must have tried to squeeze through the chicken wire and got attacked by the other chickens because she has split her head pretty bad. Her skull is exposed about 1.5 inches around, not bleeding badly, cleaned around area, have her in a box in the house. Started her on antibiotics ("super boost") to try and stem off any infection. She seems to be fine and is drinking her meds. Will her head heal or do I need to find a way to close the wound because all I have is steri-strips and I would have to somehow remove the feathers around the wound to adhere them. i am afraid if I do this she will go into shock. Anyone dealt with this before?

2. Sabrina 42

Sabrina 42 New Egg

Aug 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

GRAPHIC :Here is a picture of the injury

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  3. Sabrina 42

Sabrina 42 New Egg

Aug 24, 2012
    UPDATE: Silkie healed up fine. Used a proud flesh powder and saline solution to cleanse (contact lense solution) It was amazing, 2 weeks and she was growing feathers again. Chickens are pretty amazing! The only effect she has from her injury is a twitching head when you call her, otherwise she is normal again.

4. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    That is awesome! I had a similar experience, except that the other chickens actually cracked my hen's skull. She ended up blind in one eye and handicapped, but she was the best "mother" hen to all my bantam chickens. So glad to hear that your silkie survived and is doing well. Chickens really are amazing!

5. Angelpoo

Angelpoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2012
    Yes very glad to hear that she is ok... We also had this happen with one of our silkies exept it was a pullet and my sister and her friend we biking with her and my sister had her in the basket and she jumped out on the hill they were riding down and her friend ran over its head with her bike.... Can't remember what it's called but we sprayed this stuff on it and she healed up quite nice :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by