Need advise clipping my muscovies for the first time.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jessylee, Dec 10, 2010.

1. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    I am getting ready to clip my moscovy's wings for the first time, they are 5- 6 months and starting to fly all over the yard! Here is my question I have looked at the different styles of wing clippings (http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html) and was wondering if anyone knows of a cut that still allows them to get some lift in case of an emergency ie raccoon ect. Could I just remove half the recommend amount and have them be able to fly up in the trees out of danger, but not migrate away?[​IMG]

2. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    well the whole reason to clip wings is so they cant get any lift....
    if you worry about them getting attacked by coon,,,, make them a covered run...

3. jessylee

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. jessylee

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    I guess what I an trying to say is, Is there a complimise so to speak, somthing between clipping heavy and not clipping at all. I have been reading that If you only clip one side they may jump from somthing and as they flap it flips them to one side nad they can break somthing because of the im-balance. Also If you use dull scissors or make a sharp angle the tips can bother them and split, So I was trying to find out if any one out there does a "light trim" when you clip their wings. Pretty much so they can glid gracefully to the ground, and if in a emergency can get away better.

5. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I am not sure but you may be able to clip the secondary flight feathers on both sides. This way they still have the primaries for some lift while still maintaining balance. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

6. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Oh, as an aside, you may want to post this in the ducks section instead, they maybe a little more insightful.

7. jessylee

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    Quote:Thanks good advise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by