1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need advise for door latch/ closer/ knob

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cherub78, May 3, 2009.

1. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    We built a door on one end of the coop out of 5/4 boards (the first problem). It has the z shaped brace of 2x4s.

The door is recessed half way in the frame (the second problem).

Now, on our other door like this, we have a sliding latch to lift and slide to go in, and a hook/eye on the other side so it doesn't blow open while we are in there.

We would like BOTH doors to now open from either side (so the first would need to be changed as well).

The doors are too thin (unless we add a 2x4 or something) for a regular latch or knob, and all of the gate ones with the thumb release on the handle of the outside part won't work on a recessed door.

I have taken out numerous books from the library, been to every hardware & farm store within 40 miles, and can't come up with anything.

Does anyone have any ideas??? If you have pics, that would be great, as I am a very visual person.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    what about a handle set for a storm door ?

ETA: you would still need a secure locking device on the outside.

3. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    That won't work either because there is no space for the catch to be mounted. Typically on a storm door, there is a slight setback to mount the catch.

I did think of that, but can't figure out how to mount it. I almost think I need something that goes into the frame (like a typical knob would), but that would mount on a thin door.

I might have to attempt to drill a 2x4 from the end and cut the bigger hole so it would be like a regular door size. I just was hoping for an easier fix.

4. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Could you post a picture?

I work better with a pic.

5. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Sometimes I wonder what I did before having a digital camera!

This is the outside of the existing door we had done before:

[​IMG]

This is the hook on the inside so the door doesn't blow open:

[​IMG]

This is the new door from the outside (we are currently using a shim to hold it closed):

[​IMG]

Closer view of the new door frame from the outside:

[​IMG]

This is the new door from the inside:

[​IMG]

Maybe this will help getting some ideas flowing with everyone??? P-l-e-a-s-e (using my best forum whiney typing)?

6. New2Peeps

New2Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Can you just use a locking hook and eye?

7. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Quote:What is a locking hook and eye? Can it be opened from both sides of the door? If so, I could just add a fake knob/handle to each side.

8. Mr_Jeff

Mr_Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Durand, MI
    I don't see why your previous hardware wont work on the new door. Is it a question of aesthetics?

9. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Just cut a hole in one of the boards big enough to stick your hand thru and use any kind of hook / latch you want. See, how simple was that ?[​IMG]

10. jjamerb

jjamerb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Elkland, MO
    Can you set up a wooden latch on the inside of the door, cut a small hole through door with dowel rod through it to latch. Lift up from either side.

[​IMG]

or a hook latch on inside with a string running over door to swivel and you can pull string from outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by