Need advise on badly injured male quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 99Quail, Oct 15, 2012.

1. 99Quail

99Quail New Egg

Oct 15, 2012
    I am kind of new to raising quails, and hatched/raised my first batch of quails. Most of them are Texas A&M, even though there are a few brown ones. They got to the age that I can start telling the males from females, and I separated out 2 brown males about 6 days ago. Today I saw a Texas A&M crowing, so I took him out and put him with the other two. I watched them for a few minutes and saw one of th brown ones picked on the A&M a little but nothing severe. I figure they used to be together fine and thought they will be fine again, so I went out to dinner. I came back seeing a very badly injured A&M, with head soaked in blood and exhausted. And the offender is still trying to do more damage to the A&M. I feel so bad about it, but do not know what to do but to take him out and put him back to the cage with the others. I read somewhere that others might pick on him now due to the injury, but I really do not have a separate place to hold him, and so far others seem to leave him alone. Does someone have some advise on what I should do in such situation? Thanks in advance!

2. SeptemberQuail

SeptemberQuail Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Australia
    I'm a newbie myself, but if you have a cardboard box lying around, I'd put him in there for the night, with some bedding (hay or woodshavings would be good) and a supply of food and plenty of water. Even if the others may not bother him, I think he needs some time to rest alone. If the injury is very bad then I suggest taking him to an avian vet, otherwise, I guess you could gently clean away the blood stained feathers, but I'd need back-up from an avian expert on that information though. [Last time my quail was injured on the wing, I grabbed a paper towel, wet it with warm water and gently wiped away the blood - she was a bit hesitant at first but I gave her her favourite treats straight after, which are clover.]

Give him some TLC, feed him foods he likes. He needs to remain calm. Bring him inside (if he lives outside) and give him a light source (again, I'll need back-up on this info).
    I'm sorry I can't supply a lot of information, but this is what I'd do if my quail were in such situation.

And a reminder -
    Never put two or more roo's together (gentle reminder ^-^). No matter what; Even if they do seem fine, they will eventually fight each other, probably for dominance or territorial reasons. Someone once told me that they had a female quail (she was like the leader of the group of quails) who hatched and raised a male chick, he eventually started to fighting her as he grew up, for dominance. So... yeah.

3. oktx

oktx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    As sad as it is, if you don't have a way to give him his own little group of females, I'd consider sending him off to freezer camp. Lone males, I've found, just seem sad and lonely.

I have had roos fight and they pretty much don't stop once it's started.

I am currently housing only 12 quail (8 females, 4 males) in a large colony coop. It is an A-frame style coop with a covered portion to sleep or hide in. Anyway, my males do not fight and they are all from different hatchings, BUT they have a huge coop and plenty to keep them occupied. We had twice as many females but one escaped and we lost 7 to rats last week. We have completely rebuilt the coop to hopefully keep the rats out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by