need advise on broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zammys Zooyard, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Zammys Zooyard

Zammys Zooyard Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    Hiddenite
    I am new to raising chickens, I bought 12 , 2 roos and 8 hens, there were 2 chicks but the were killed by the others when moving them to the new pen. That being said I know the hens will hatch out chicks, but as I have never done this i need some advise.

1st my little old emglish bantum has been on the nest 2 days, she wont budge even at night. How doi know if there are eggs under there?

If i check and there is, if she moves will she come back?

if there are how do i know if they are fertile? If i check them can i put them back and she will keep brooding ?

thanks for any advise
    Zammy

2. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Decide whether you want to let her hatch the eggs or not. If you do leave her alone and let her do her job. I wouldn't worry about how many there are or anything just don't disturb her. On the other hand if you are like me and you don't want her to hatch anything, remove her from the nest whenever she is on it and send her packing out of the house. Collect the eggs and go on about your business. I wouldn't try to collect the eggs while she is on the nest, you could get pecked. I have a Buff Rock who goes broody about once a month for a week or tow and then decides she doesn't want to anymore. The first time I let her alone thinking she would hatch out some chicks, but within two weeks she was finished with being broody and I was left with a couple of eggs that were partially developed and no incubator. So now, whenever I see her acting like that I shoo her out of the house. I have enough hens so I don't really need anymore chicks.

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I would suggest that you get some protective gloves and oust her from the nest..see if there are any eggs there and as the previous poster says, make a decision as to whether or not you wish her to breed at this time of year as it may be very cold where you live.having said that the mother hen will keep them warm enough if afforded good housing

Your chicken will not normally abandon her eggs if you check the nest, she will likely stand by and wait until you have checked for eggs. I would not take the eggs away for checking as to whether or not they are fertile, I leave nature to take it's course.....

I take my broodies from the coop and house them separately in a warm and safe housing... rats are a threat to developing eggs here, I have had young ducklings killed by rats and it is heartbreaking.

By housing her alone you are able to see if she is eating and drinking too, some broodies will not leave the nest to eat, drink nor defacate

Hope this helps

4. Zammys Zooyard

Sep 26, 2013
    Hiddenite
    ok thanks for the info, I think I would like her to hatch soe out, i have a small incubator if she should get up, whats the adverage time it takes to hatch out.

5. Zammys Zooyard

Sep 26, 2013
    Hiddenite
    she has chosen the little house that we had in the pen, its a seperate house but portable, should i move her completely ir let her been in her little house.

the little one is in the pen with the others but its much smaller like a individual house just for nesting away from the big one where we bed them for the night with roosts.

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    The standard is 21 days from the date she first sets... it sounds as if the pen within the coop is a good idea, however, she will need to come off of the nest of eggs at least twice a day.. for pooping and for stretching her body... she will likely be in a trance like state for the most part so she will need to be taken off of her eggs for a little while... 20 minutes is fine for her to leave her eggs at any one time. You can move her about manually to wake her up if she is reluctant to move from the eggs

Good luck! Keep us informed!

7. Zammys Zooyard

Sep 26, 2013
    Hiddenite
    OH awesome, good to know, we will start keeping track her little house is 2ft x18inx 18in, and it full of straw, we put the chick water and the little feeder in there and have a blanket over the door so she can get fresh air but the bigger ones are so quick to go in, we pulled the blanket for a little while in the day but when it started raining we covered it back up to keep her warm.

I really appreciate all the advise, this is so cool we love watching them all interact an how easy they are trained to feeding times and treat times.

I will keep everyone posted, planning on getting some pics this weekend,,

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by