need advise on how to get new ducks along with my other ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kari1981, Nov 2, 2014.

1. kari1981

kari1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    I rescued 2 female pekins about 2 months ago. They were on their death bed and I built them a seperate pen and run for them incase they were sick. I knew one was sick cuz she lost her voice and sqeaked when trying to quack. Anyway I gave them antibiotics and within 2 wks both of them were back to good looking healthy ducks.
    Well I started trying to let them 2 loose with my other 6 pekin ducks... That didnt turn out well at all. The 2 drakes instantly grabbed them by the neck pulling feathers out.
    So everyday I stand out there when I let them all run together but those drakes still run after then and try to attck them. How can I eventually get them all together in one coop and enclosed pen? Winter is coming fast and I was hoping by now they could have been with the other 4 females and 2 drakes but the drakes are being terrorizers.. I dont want to get rid of my drakes.... Should i let them just peck on them and then will they eventually give up?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They may hurt them I you just let it go, are they trying to mate with them or just being hateful? you could try putting the drakes into the pen you built for the 2 new ones for a while this would give all the girls a break, Have your 2 new ducks been out close by the other ones long enough for the resident ducks to get use to them? It does take time for resident ducks to accept newbies so to speak.

3. kari1981

kari1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2014
    Seems more like the drakes are being hateful. I was also thinking about putting the drakes in with them to see what happens but was kinda scared that they would just tear them apart. I been putting them together out in the big open pen I let them run at while Im home during the day. The 2 newer ones stay far away from others and if they get close,the males charge them. But I am going to continue to let them all hang together and hope for the best, I just dont want any injuries to happen

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The drakes see them as outsiders it takes time to integrate new ducks or any poultry into an existing flock but it can be done, but protect your new ones and hopefully soon they will be part of the flock. I'd consider letting the new ones live with your flock all but the 2 drakes for a while that may help them feel more included.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by