Need advise on this coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bugkiller, Oct 24, 2011.

1. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
  2. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Very nice, add a run and you have it made..

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    looks like a great coop for the price....and for 2 or 3 birds i think it will be fine!.......good luck!

4. JerseyFresh

JerseyFresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Utah
    Wow, not bad at all. Shouldn't be too hard to add the needed ventilation and a run.
    I'm kind of embarassed to admit how much I spent building my coop.

5. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Looks good but the size listed is suspect. The 45" includes the nest box so its only about 6 sq. ft. Recommendations are 4 sq. ft. / bird. You might start with 2 or 3 birds but before long you will want more. [​IMG]

6. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    Looks Way Too Small......................4 Me Anyway

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I would really do your homework...I was looking at coops on amazon at one point, and came across one that looks very similar to this one...the reviews were deplorable...cheap brittle wood, bad materials, etc. On top of that, the company was offering a refund....as long the reviewers would change their reviews to positive ones...

8. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    PLUS......you might THINK you only want 2 or 3 right NOWWWW, but I would err on the side of caution and do your original plan of a "fair bit bigger". That way you have the option of adding more birds and don't risk overcrowding or getting ripped off by shoddy materials and workmanship.

9. AZWhiteKnight

AZWhiteKnight Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Even if I only had a small amount of birds (and that never lasts as others have mentioned), I would want a coop that I could access. Too much could go on in there without your knowledge.

10. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Stick with your original idea of a larger coop...I agree, you will want more than 2 or 3 chickens eventually. The picture of the coop looks nice, however, where are the air vents? There should be vents at the top on at least one side, if not two, and larger than a small round hole I think I see on the pic. As stated by others, you will need more floor space for your birds. I had five Rhode Island Reds, fairly large chickens, in a coop that included four nests, that measured 4 ft wide x 3 ft deep. Not really large enough. Have built much larger one since. Check out Craigs List and maybe a local carpenter for some bids on building what you want. OR, check out on BYC all the pics of coops built by members...especially Tractors as they are smaller. Both of my coop ideas came from pics on BYC including suggestions on venting, windows, flooring, etc. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by