NEED ADVISE PLEASE!! My baby cant poop.. :(

Jeanette01

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2015
California
Came home to see my baby girl all puffed up, she wouldn't relax, and upon further inspection I see that she has a little poppy stuck.. :(
She has been pecking at it and its all red, how can I help my baby??

Also put some petroleum jelly on her rear to keep it moist, and so more poop doesn't stick to it. Seeing how sore that looks, it could dry out and crack and that would definitely hurt :(

I got some chicks that had huge balls of poop stuck to them and I put their butts in a running stream of warm water and after a few minutes their poop ball fell off. I had to re-apply the petroleum jelly at least twice a day to keep their butts from drying out, the skin was really damaged. I used creamy petroleum jelly and put it on a Q-tip and smeared it generously on their entire back side. In just a few day they looked and felt much better and had no more poop get stuck to their butts.
yesss.gif

It's not a matter of stuff being stuck to her bum, it's poop in her booty hole that she can't seem to push out.. (sorry, I know it's icky)

I would definitely soak her rear in some warm water to loosen everything up so it came come on out, does it look like its too big or too hard or dry for her to pass on her own? Sorry it was hard to tell from the pic. Maybe someone with more knowledge of chicken constipation issues can answer this. I do know that if you dont get that poop out and they can't poop, they will die
hmm.png

Last edited:
Looks like pasty butt. I run warm water and hold the chicks bottom under the water, using your fingers just gently rub the poop away . Pat dry and put a little Vaseline on the area. With pasty butt the poop on the outside dries to the vent preventing them from pooping. Usually heat or dehydration are the cause. :)

Back
Top Bottom