Need advise please

TerriB90

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2016
So as I mentioned yesterday I have lost my drake runner duck and my female is very sad and lonely.. she has perked up a little this morning but still not herself and I would really like to get her another companion. I am a little stuck as to what to get a male or female though.. if I get a female will they fight? And if I get a male is he likely to start attacking my chickens like the last one did? Thanks in advance :)

So as I mentioned yesterday I have lost my drake runner duck and my female is very sad and lonely.. she has perked up a little this morning but still not herself and I would really like to get her another companion. I am a little stuck as to what to get a male or female though.. if I get a female will they fight? And if I get a male is he likely to start attacking my chickens like the last one did? Thanks in advance
smile.png
I'd go with another female unless you can get at least 3- more females for him. It is best to keep at least 3-4 females to 1 drake. and that is no guarantee he still won't go after your hens, but my Runner drake has 7 females and he doesn't go after my hens. My Muscovy drake has 4 females and he doesn't go after my hens. But if you can't get that many more females then female is best. And if you introduce slowly they will get to be best friends . Best way to introduce is to keep them side by side with fencing in between for a few days to a week just so the resident duck and your chickens get use to a new duck in their midst.

I'd go with another female unless you can get at least 3- more females for him. It is best to keep at least 3-4 females to 1 drake. and that is no guarantee he still won't go after your hens, but my Runner drake has 7 females and he doesn't go after my hens. My Muscovy drake has 4 females and he doesn't go after my hens. But if you can't get that many more females then female is  best. And if you introduce slowly they will get to be best friends . Best way to introduce is to keep them side by side with fencing in between for a few days to a week just so the resident duck and your chickens get use to a new duck in their midst.

Thank you so much miss Lydia I will keep a look out for a female hopefully I can find one soon, I hate seeing her so down poor thing..

Back
Top Bottom