Need Advise... Weight gain in elderly dog...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ma2babygurl13, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    What do I need to do to help my elderly dog gain more weight... seems to be that the "normal" dog food isn't helping no matter the amount he is getting. He is a 9 year old American Bulldog, so getting up there for his breed. I remember somewhere it is either a higher protein or a higher fat will help get some weight on, but I cannot remember which one it is... any suggestions? He isn't incredibly thin, just thinner than I like him to be. Which would be better to look into for a "new" food for him higher protein or higher fat or both? Right now he is at 21% protein and 10%fat... I would like him to gain 5-10lbs min but no more than 15ish. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Just pour grease over his food when you cook bacon or burger meat. He will gain and have a nice shiny coat as well. Changing the food might upset his tummy, the grease in my experience does not.

ETA: Oh and a sure way to fatten up a dog is treats. Yhey are almost always higher in fat.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i would hesitate on encouraging a senior dog and a large dog at that to gain weight... I would be worried about their hips. consult a vet to see if there is a parasite issue, or an absorption issue they may need to bo switched to a easy digestible food

4. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I would have him checked for worms too. Also check his teeth. It might be time for a senior feed for him.

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Too much grease/fat can lead to pancreatitis - VERY painful w/expensive vet visits (been there, done that - dog moaned when she breathed, I felt awful - too much greasy treats on her food [​IMG] )
    I'd take it to the vet and be sure it's just due to old age, in which case, so what? Many people/animals lose weight towards old age...not necessarily a bad thing. Good luck - hope things are ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by