Need advise what to do (hen loosing weight .very week)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Skhan, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Skhan

Skhan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    I have a hen ....she is not able to digest well from last 2 weeks .......i feed her egg mixed with yogurt....but she is not able to digest whole..i had tried giving her only fresh water but she is not able to digest or nothing passes through through her crop....... her crop remains full when I see in the morning.....NO IMPROVEMENT ......she is loosing her weight quickly .....and she is very week....help me fast...her dropings are white liquid with no color......sugest me what to feed that will digest and she gains weight

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    sounds like she may have an impacted crop. im not sure how to fix this except massage it down and molasses to make her poop i am just guessing this , hopefully someone else will chime in.

3. Skhan

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    yes she started with impacted crop......I gave her olive oil and massage ,the food goes down ..........it happend 2 weeks earlier........but now nothing is fully passing down....neither food nor water....

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well she still has it. treat again with the oil . are you giving her grit? when she is better check what you are feeding her.

5. Skhan

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    I had tried with oil....but no improvement......only watery white dropings

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    then the molasses. and massage. you can force it down but be careful because it can go the wrong way and choke them. you really need some one with more experience then i have.

7. Skhan

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    i dont know anything about molasses.......whats it

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    it is a very dark sweet syrup i think made from the sugar cane. it acts like a laxative for chickens. there are ways to empty the crop too. if you go to the advanced search on top of your page and type in impacted crop you should get some better ideas.

9. Skhan

Jan 9, 2014
    INDIA,DHANBAD
    thanks i will try .........any more suggestions ........how good is prebiotics and probiotics?will it work?

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have never tried them. i do feed yogert once in a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by