Need advise with clipping my Muscovies wings for the first time

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessylee, Dec 11, 2010.

1. jessylee

jessylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    I am getting ready to clip my moscovy's wings for the first time, they are 5- 6 months and starting to fly all over the yard! Here is my question I have looked at the different styles of wing clippings (http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html) and was wondering if anyone knows of a cut that still allows them to get some lift in case of an emergency ie raccoon ect. Could I just remove half the recommend amount and have them be able to fly up in the trees out of danger, but not migrate away?
    I guess what I an trying to say is, Is there a compromise so to speak, somthing between clipping heavy and not clipping at all. I have been reading that If you only clip one side it throw off their balance, then when they jump from somthing they flap it flips them to one side heavy and then you run the risk of them breaking somthing. Also If you use dull scissors or make a sharp angle the tips can bother them and split, So I was trying to find out if any one out there does a "light trim" when you clip their wings. Pretty much so they can glid gracefully to the ground, and if in a emergency can get away better. All constructive help is welcome. Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I've had Muscovies for going on 7 years and the only place mine have flown to is the river down below us. I don't think they will migrate. I do clip the wings on mine to keep them from going to the river for their protection, don't want them to end up on someones dinner table. Do you lock your ducks up at night? I've never had a problem with day time predators so far, but I have a goose and 4 dogs that keep most things away.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  3. jessylee

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    Quote:Yes they roost with the chickens at night, never had a problem getting them to either, they fallow the chickens every where! Can you give any advise on clipping the wings? How many inches do you cut off?

4. oldtimeway

oldtimeway Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    midwest
    I've never seen a farm raised Muscovie migrate? They fly around to the lake or maybe to the neighbors if they like their place better.

I wouldn't worry about the coons. Muscovies are so ornery they'll hold their own.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I will try to get a picture for you to help. Bombay is stuck in the house right now so maybe he'll cooperate for a couple miutes, lol.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Okay, here ya go... Not the best pic, he of course had to eat and drink first and then still didn't want me to open his wing all the way, lol.

The easiest way that i can explain it is... you need to cut the longest "set" of feathers back so that they line up with the next "set" of feather on the wing, i hope that makes sense, lol.
    [​IMG]

ETA: I bet the girls are big now, I just realized how small my hand looks compared to his wing!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes thats how I do it.

8. jessylee

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    Quote:Thank you Bleenie:ya [​IMG]
    I knew some one would be able to help me out! I am a little nervouse to do it myself since I have never even seen it done in person. Just the thought of "blood feathers" makes me nervous! Thanks for the picture as well, Do you clip both sides? I think I will do both just so they are not thrown off balance. Do you notice that they still can get any lift after a trim like this? Like jump on the fence ect?

Yes the girls are getting so big! I love them so much, they make me laugh everyday. I will have to figure out how to add a video on here so you can see them play what I call bumper cars at full speed!! I was hoping they would not figure out how to fly with no older duck to show them how... not the case, Once one gets to flapping they all go crazy! So funny to watch![​IMG]

Your boys wing is huge! I love his color! You weren't exaggerating when you said they grow up FAST! I modified my coop by adding walls to the bottom and making it a double story so to speak. Ducks down stairs, Made alot more room for the chickens! I think the ducks think the chickens are their "Momma" hehe They get along really well, probably thanks to how you raised them.
    Thanks again!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you should only clip one wing. that is to keep them off balance so they can't fly.

10. jessylee

Oct 11, 2010
    Olympia
    Quote:That was what I was going to do, until I read that can be bad if they climb up somthing and as they attempt to flap their wings their body is thrown heavy to one side and this can cause them to break a leg, or worse. I dont mind doing both just to help prevent injury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by