Need Advise!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TwinArrowsFarm, Jan 6, 2014.

1. TwinArrowsFarm

TwinArrowsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    Tulare, California
    Ok so I just got 30 silkie eggs in the mail Saturday. Rested them 24 hours. Put them in the incubator Sunday.i decided to candle a couple to check for cracks and floating air cells. Sure enough most of them have an air cell that drifts back and forth when you tilt the egg. This is only my second hatch so I'm not sure what to do. My first hatch I did last month I incubated the eggs laying down. What I'm wondering is if I should incubate with the carton method and maybe stop turning for the next 24-48 hours to give the air cells a chance to reattach but keep them in the incubator?
    Some immediate advice would be greatly appreciated! !

2. justin24

justin24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    Incubate normal they will do just fine i had some like that under a hen all hatch better than my other eggs lol i was surprise keep me updated

3. TwinArrowsFarm

Nov 24, 2013
    Tulare, California
    I went ahead and put them in a carton just to be safe. I hear about good results using that method. If it doesn't work... well... then I guess it will be eggs lost but a lesson gained lol
    I will definitely keep you updated

4. justin24

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    Lol i would like to get a few silke eggs this fall from you because we are crossin our finger they hatch

5. TwinArrowsFarm

Nov 24, 2013
    Tulare, California
    I bought these eggs from a lady I found here on BYC. If I keep some for breeding and have fertile eggs I would be happy to send you some.

6. justin24

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    Yay we gone get our silkies lol they are beatiful birds

7. TwinArrowsFarm

Nov 24, 2013
    Tulare, California
    I updated this post because I have another question.
    Ok... so I candled and the air cells are still a little wiggly but I have been turning in the cartons. It looks like the veins are around the air cell and the embryos are stuck either under the air cell (I can't see them) or right next to it. They don't move when I move the egg. They sat fat end up for 3 and a half days all together (24 hours before incubation and another 36 hours after I put them in because the air cells were still detached.) Could it be possible that because they sat without turning for so long the yolk got stuck to the membrane? If so what are the dangers of this? A couple of the embryos look like quitters while some of the others I have seen moving. This is all new to me since this is only my second hatch and my first hatch was easy and successful. Maybe I just got lucky my first hatch. Any help from some experienced hatchers would be super awesome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by