need an expert or 2

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken support, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Chicken support

Chicken support Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    I have a new RIR rooster I am going to introduce to the flock, is 21/2 weeks long enough to have him seperate or does he need to be seperate for the whole 3 weeks?..My girls keep gettin out to go see him and have dinner with him.

2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    If you are referring to him being quarantined off from the others in the flock to be sure he's disease free, 1 full month is recommended. But he should be way off from the other birds, if the girls have already been near him, it's really not being quarantined
    and you might as well let him in the flock. All should be fine if he's showed no signs of illness in 2.5 weeks, though a month is the general rule of thumb, you just have to be totally biosecure for it to be effective. Which means, do not walk between his area and the others, I always use different shoes, and wash down with aintbacterial soap after tending to a new arrival, they also stay locked up in a barn, totally away from the other birds here on the farm. It is a bit of a pain, but well worth it in the long run

3. Chicken support

Chicken support Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    shows me just how much I dont know,lol
    but from what you said I could go ahead and introduce them, thank you for the information

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by